cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel, explore, repeat.

I powered up the slope with determination and pumping adrenaline, I reached the summit, thinking that once I was there and could see the mountain recede underneath me I would feel a sense of achievement and awe, instead I was met with the unexpected realization of how small and alone I was, standing on the stop of an snowy mountain watching the mist role around the gullies beneath me, no one in the world knew where I was or what I was doing, that was one of the most exhilarating and terrifying moments of my life”

Anyone who’s travelled knows its one of the most enriching experiences of life, full of new cultures, people, food, landscapes and climates. But you would also know its not always what you expect, social media fill ours minds with glorified photo shopped images of exotic people and places but sometimes when you step of the plane and into the unknown the world can be a damn scary place.

When we start to plan a trip a lot of questions come up:

-       Where should I go?

-       Who should I go with?

-       Should I travel alone, with a partner or with friends?

-       How much money will I need?

-       Should I plan the trip out from start to finish or wing it as I go?

Monday's getting real session will be on all things travel, from smart tips like how to budget, stay safe and avoid tourist scams, to holiday romance etiquette, partying over seas and avoiding dodgy situations/people and how to nicely tell a creep to leave you the heck alone.

Everyone has their own travel experiences and can have something to share, from horror stories to the best days of our lives we want to know! Maybe you’re planning a trip right now? Are on an adventure that isn’t going exactly to plan, or are suffering from a bout of post travel blues come join us for some chats and story telling times at the getting real session next week.

JOIN US - 8PM AEST MONDAY 10th MARCH

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

Hi all,

I'm Gail and I'll be co-facilitating tonight's Getting Real session with @SJG and @Rosie-RO - we're looking forward to talking about all things wonderful (and not so wonderful) about travelling and seeing the world! Whether you're a seasoned traveller or are a bit hesitant to step outside your comfort zone, we're looking forward to hearing from you.

As always, please keep in mind that this is a group discussion and if anything comes up for you that you feel you need to speak to someone one on one about, there are services available if you click the emergency help and info link.

So, to start us off, let's hear from you guys!

Have you done much travel? Where have you been? Where is number one on your 'places I want to go' list?

Highlighted

Hey guys! Sophia here,

I myself have done a bunch on travelling, mostly solo backpacking through europe, i actually just got back from 10 weeks over there!!! Favourite place on this trip was definitley Norway, so inasnely beautiful there! super isolated also. And the next place on my to do list is Canada, im a sucker for mountains Smiley Very Happy

Hi all,

My name is Hayden and I'm new to this so forgive me if I have clicked the wrong reply button Smiley Wink

I am a university student and am actually on study abroad right now, and agree with Rosie. I'm in Copenhagen in my 9th month here and have absolutely fallen in love with culture and people. It is simply amazing to go outside your comfort zone. It is terrifying, but moreso than terrifying, it is so worth it.

I am actually going to Austria and Germany on a ski trip in 2 days (weeeeee!). I think what inspires some people like me to travel is that they feel they don't fit in somewhere. I felt so alienated from Australian culture and making friends was hard, but keeping them near impossible. A word of advice that everyone fits in somewhere, they just need to find that place. And if you are scared, it's okay, because we are all a little scared, some of us are just better at hiding it! Smiley Wink

Have you done much travel? Where have you been? Where is number one on your 'places I want to go' list?

I haven't really travelled very much. Only within Australia, New Zealand and couple of Islands (New Caledonia and Venautu) on a cruise. I'd like to go to the UK one day, but I am petrified of planes so that could be interesting... haha.

Hey Hayden!!!

Thats is so cool!! i was just in Copenhagen/Kobenhavn Smiley Wink I loved it there so much it is my dream city, totally agree with the falling in love with the culture and the people. How are you finding the cold? And yes the terrifying part is so true, just the fact that you know you are on the other side of the world to everyone from home is pretty overwhelming, i bet youre having the time of your life though!!

Hi gang! I'm so excited about this topic, traveling is just my favourite thing to do. 

@Scyther - that is actually one of the best reasons for travel I've ever heard. You are dead on - the world is BIG and if you explore enough of it, you'll find a place that feels like it was made for you Smiley Happy Also, I'm really jealous of your skiing adventure. I want this aussie summer to end already!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Sounds amazing! I'd love to go to vanuatu, and as for the planes thing, you could be lucky like me and get a free uprade to bussiness class!! (just happened to me) was soooo amazing!! plus the air hostes' are super lovely Smiley Happy Did you love New Zealand?

To answer my own question... Have you done much travel? Where have you been? Where is number one on your 'places I want to go' list?

I've done a fair bit of travel - SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos) a few times, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, a good chunk of Europe, UK, USA, India, and most recently South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and Swaziland in Africa. Next on my list is a toss up between Morocco/Egypt/Israel or South America Smiley Happy

I've been lucky enough to go to Europe four times in my 19 years - plus I'm going again this June! So I've done a lot of Europe.

I've also been to a few countries in Asia - Japan and Singapore multiple times, as well as Malaysia, Hong Kong and China.

I really want to go to America and the Pacific!