cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

@gail Whoooaaaaaa~that's pretty scary D: Although, were the roasted chestnuts tasty? 

Oh no @gail  that sounds super depressing Smiley Sad I hope you like chestnuts! 

One of my favourite stories is when a friend of mine and i had a yelling match in the ampitheatre of Pompeii over a stupid audio tour thingy, 5 minutes later we were eating nuttella on some ruins and laughing about it. Travelling with friends is amazing fun but can also start some cat fights!

Also on the trip i just got home from, i was hiking in the mountians in Norway and i decided that i was in an extra special adventurous mood so i left the track (sillyyyy) 2 hours later i was freaazing cold and lost in the mist, i slid down about 3 frozen creeks and nearly broke my back, freaked out lots and lots, but eventually found the track again and realised it was one of the greatest days of my life!!! And i had climed to 3 mountain tops along the way with the most amazing veiws i'd ever seen

@SJG (I hope this is how it works) That's awesome! How was your exchange in Holland? I really want to visit Amsterdam. I really hope you sat on the rock with the mermaid, with your red hair, you'll be the new attraction! Smiley Tongue

That's exactly how they are. But I think people overemphasise the coldness, such as when I had classes with some Americans and they were making dramatically unrealistic horror stories about how mean Scandinavians are. They're not mean, they just act a little shy, I think.

Of course I have a bike! You won't survive in the city of cycling without one Smiley Wink

@Myvo @SJG I liked the chestnuts to start with... but after five days living on them I was a bit put off. It will be a while before I eat them again! It's been two and a bit years already and I'm not at all ready to face them again yet...

@SJG wrote:

Also on the trip i just got home from, i was hiking in the mountians in Norway and i decided that i was in an extra special adventurous mood so i left the track (sillyyyy) 2 hours later i was freaazing cold and lost in the mist, i slid down about 3 frozen creeks and nearly broke my back, freaked out lots and lots, but eventually found the track again and realised it was one of the greatest days of my life!!! And i had climed to 3 mountain tops along the way with the most amazing veiws i'd ever seen

Haha I did essentially the same thing in Austria a couple of years ago while I was staying with family friends just next to the Swiss Alps and was spending a day adventuring on my own, trying to find a bus stop. "I don't need to follow the path, I totally know where I'm going"... Three hours later a friendly woodchopper gave me a lift home Smiley Happy

@gail Your story is amazing, by the way! Smiley LOL

@Scyther yep youve got it! Holland was fantastic, and Amsterdam is such a fun city and so beautiful, but Copenhagen is much more user friendly, you made a good choice! I totally agree, they just have a different way of relating to strangers than Aussies do! I have a lot of Scandinavian friends and they are fantastic! Have you been up to Sweden or Norway yet? And yes the bikes are awesome, i had one for the months i was in Holland and it was my new best friend!

Some good stories there guys!

So, lots of young people rate travel highly in terms of enjoyment and worth - why do you think this is? What do you value about travel?

Highlighted

So, lots of young people rate travel highly in terms of enjoyment and worth - why do you think this is? What do you value about travel?

I think that it's because there's so many options for young people to travel like volunteering overseas, cruises and Contiki tours. There's also the #yolo mentality and you might as well live life at large and experience as much as you possibly can! With travel, although I haven't travelled very far just yet, I value the new experiences - like trying new foods, meeting new people, seeing the sights and then there's also culture shock too; acknowledging the familiarity and the differences between what you know and what you've never seen. 

Personally i don't travel for the party scene, i love learning about new cultures and love love the scenery, especially green places, im a huge art nerd so i spend hours in museums and galleries. I also love to hear different languages, when little kids are talking in another language they sound so cute!!