cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

@Myvo I agree on the new experiences - for me, seeing/learning/doing new things is just so exciting and I love that travelling facilitates that happening so much. I think having those new experiences allows me to grow as a person and become more aware of the world I live in, which I think is really important.

Highlighted

@gail It definitely helps you grown, i wouldn't be the person i am today without all the travelling i have done, it helps keep things at home in perspective and gives you insight into how others live there lives

So, lots of young people rate travel highly in terms of enjoyment and worth - why do you think this is? What do you value about travel?

I think that young people enjoy travel because they want to be more independent and are most open to meeting new people and having new experiences at this age. I like discovering new things and spending time with family most about travel. And I like that I it gets me out of my comfort zone - I find that sometimes it really helps with bringing down my anxiety levels.

Sounds like most you up are up for almost anything! Brave people.

Traveling anywhere - whether it's a weekend trip a few hours away, or months on the other side of the world, involves being willing and ready to change. Changing expectations is just one challenge of travelling. What are some things that you think might get in the way of travelling? (this might be things like daily routines, what they want to eat, etc…)

@delicatedreamer Adventure is out there! I find it interesting how you say that travel brings down your anxiety levels - in what way? With travel, I'm all nervous and excited Smiley Tongue

Changing expectations is just one challenge of travelling. What are some things that you think might get in the way of travelling? 

Stuff like money (money exchanges and rates as well as carrying it around + accessing it in public places like banks), getting around the town/city, keeping up to date with current affairs and language. I think language is a big one as well as the non-verbal mannerisms that you display towards locals. What you say or do may seem normal to you but it could be fairly offensive to others :/

@SJG wrote:

Changing expectations is just one challenge of travelling. What are some things that you think might get in the way of travelling? (this might be things like daily routines, what they want to eat, etc…)

I think even things like adjusting your expectations in terms of stuff as simple as noise levels while you're trying to sleep (hostel living ftw); being more accomodating for other people than you might normally be; things like allergies that might impact where you can eat; and of course things like anxiety are important in determining what you want to do and what is realistic for you to be able to do without pushing yourself to breaking point.

@Myvo wrote:

@delicatedreamer Adventure is out there! I find it interesting how you say that travel brings down your anxiety levels - in what way? With travel, I'm all nervous and excited Smiley Tongue

I know it sounds weird - it does really stress me out beforehand (and when I'm doing it sometimes) but I find that I relax into it over time and will be more relaxed going out of my comfort zone, and then feel more relaxed when I get home because I know that nothing bad happened to me when I did all of those really scary things on holidays - if that makes sense? For example, when I was in Sydney I walked to bills restaurant from our hotel and had breakfast by myself because I really wanted to go there, even though my family didn't come with me and that made me really anxious. I think stuff like that really helps me expand my 'circles of safety' (places that I feel safe and not anxious - these get very small when I have a lot of anxiety trouble). I hope that makes sense and didn't go too off-topic.

I agree @Myvo sometimes it gets me super on edge!! But i know what you mean @delicatedreamer i think the distance from everything going on back at home can sometimes be a great thing for anxiety.

As for things i have to change; i am gluten and dairy intolerent (glutard) and finding food can sometimes be a challange! So i have to sometimes eat really stange food that i probably never would at home, but its all a good experience.. sometimes only afterwoulds though

@delicatedreamer  Thats really great that you are willing to push yourself, i have had similar experiences, even if you feel anxious while you are doing something, the sense of acheivment afterwoulds and knowing that you can do it makes it all worth it