cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

Changing expectations is just one challenge of travelling. What are some things that you think might get in the way of travelling? 

Anxiety gets in the way majorly for me. It gets better once I've started (see previous post), but it makes it hard for me to start at all. I like to feel safe, and have safe places and routines, but travel is largely about spontaneity (so a lack of routine), and new places! Other things that might get in the way of travel are people's financial situations, not having someone to go with, not having a car (if you're in Aus and want to drive around), having things at home that you have to be looked after or paid for while you are away (like pets or a house)... Not sure what else.

@delicatedreamer wrote:

@Myvo wrote:

@delicatedreamer Adventure is out there! I find it interesting how you say that travel brings down your anxiety levels - in what way? With travel, I'm all nervous and excited Smiley Tongue

I know it sounds weird - it does really stress me out beforehand (and when I'm doing it sometimes) but I find that I relax into it over time and will be more relaxed going out of my comfort zone, and then feel more relaxed when I get home because I know that nothing bad happened to me when I did all of those really scary things on holidays - if that makes sense? For example, when I was in Sydney I walked to bills restaurant from our hotel and had breakfast by myself because I really wanted to go there, even though my family didn't come with me and that made me really anxious. I think stuff like that really helps me expand my 'circles of safety' (places that I feel safe and not anxious - these get very small when I have a lot of anxiety trouble). I hope that makes sense and didn't go too off-topic.

That definitely makes sense. Moving outside our comfort zones or 'circles of safety' is a great way to expand them! The more we push the boundaries, the more things begin to start to feel okay, and our worlds get a little bigger each time Smiley Happy

Everytime anything bad happens on a holiday I think about what a great story it will make later and it makes it all ok Smiley Happy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

There's definitely a heap of things that can get in the way of travelling, you guys have done a really good job of identifying some of these! But it's not necessarily all bad news... Do you think it is possible to overcome these things? What might help a young person to overcome these things and go through with travelling?

I think the best way to overcome alot of fears about travel is to just get the courage to try it, some of those fears will come up, but when travelling your mindset is different, you think more laterally about situations and often find ways to overcome things that you wouldnt normaly at home!

Highlighted

Do you think it is possible to overcome these things? What might help a young person to overcome these things and go through with travelling?

It's important to read up on where you're travelling to. I find that you can find useful information on Smart Traveller, Lonely Planet forums and guides as well as word-of-mouth from people who frequently travel or even famlily and friends. I think that travelling with a friend or in a group could also ease your mind so that you know that if things don't go to plan, then you've got some buddies to figure it out with you. 

@SJG definitely - I've surprised myself a few times with creative solutions in the moment! I think sometimes it can be useful to think ahead about some of these things though - like say with dietary requirements/allergies, it could be helpful to do some research in advance about where some places are that cater for those needs, so that when you arrive in a city you know a few places you can eat (even if you don't end up going there - just to have that knowledge if you need it). Same kinds of things for money troubles or anxieties - know what your budget/needs are and have some plans in place (whether or not those plans get used is a different matter!).

@SJG Everyone loves speaking English here, you're right.Smiley Happy I've been to Malmo (25 min train ride from me) and Oslo, and perhaps you don't agree (if you went to Oslo when you were in Norway), but I found it so boring! The people there were a bit strange when I spoke to them (I can't describe it, just an awkward feeling) which was fine, but the city was really hard to get around, it was over-expensive, and I couldn't get out fast enough, because there was nothing to do. Did you go to Oslo?

There's lots to plan and take into account when you're deciding to travel. Are you a planner, or do you prefer to take things as they come and see what happens? What might be the benefits of taking each approach?

@Scyther Yeah i have been to Oslo! I have friends who live there and they showed me around and took me out so i had a completely different experience!! I really liked it! But i prefer Copenhagen Smiley Happy