cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

Copenhagen will always be the best city! What about Stockholm? Been there? Smiley Happy

Planning is definitely important in most cases. If you are well-planned you can avoid all of the abundant things that can go very wrong! I've learned from experience.

Some things are way more expensive when planned last minute, but things like hostels I find are actually cheaper! Probably because they expect not to sell out last minute so they lower prices.

@SJG wrote:

There's lots to plan and take into account when you're deciding to travel. Are you a planner, or do you prefer to take things as they come and see what happens? What might be the benefits of taking each approach?

I am 100% a planner. Before I go travelling I print out info about where I'm going, make lists of potential things I want to do in each place, copy all my ID and give to a few people as well as carry copies and have scans in my email in case of stolen passport, etc... That said, I usually arrive somewhere and all my plans go out the window and I end up doing whatever comes up as I go - often wandering in mountains/bushland and playing with stray animals and random children. But having the plans there helps alleviate my anxiety, even if they don't end up getting used Smiley Happy I think before arriving somewhere, I'm a planner, then when I get there, I take things as they come. Bit of a contradiction!

There's lots to plan and take into account when you're deciding to travel. Are you a planner, or do you prefer to take things as they come and see what happens? What might be the benefits of taking each approach?

I'm a bit of both. I like having done some preparation; don't have the guts to go straight into it! With planning, you know where you'd like to go and what you'd like to do. There may be some good chances that things do run smoothly and the trip is the way that you've imagined it. Taking things as it goes, I see it as being as open-minded to whatever you encounter and gives you a great adrenaline rush! To me, wandering around is like making your own adventure and it gives you the opportunity to find little nooks, crannies and gems in the heart of your travels that the guides never tell you about. 

Hello everyone, Dimi here, ive been trying to log in for some time thisafternnon and i had to change password but i fianlly go in. 

I have travelled a little, Japan (with school), Malaysi and Singapore (school) and South Africa (voulenteer mission) but iam currently trying my absolute hardest to go to RTX in Austin Texas this July - RTX is the Rooster Teeth Convention - Check out Rooster Teeth if you like gaming and Anime http://roosterteeth.com/home.php . i only have a Casual job and i still like at home which people think i should have alot of money, wrong, i get about 3 shifts a week, if that, and when i talked to my mother about this trip i found that all she keeps saying is do i really want to and i dont have the money to and keeps being if you can afford it you can go next year and is kinda unsupportive, but this is something i really want to do. i think that she does not understand how much this means to me overall, its like my 21st Birthday trip. this is one thing i encounter is unssoportive family and trying to get them to help me out just in supporting my ideas. but this is something i want to do and i will do it. the point in i wanted to do this since before the event last year, ive wanted to go since the first ever RTX. even if i have to sacrifice everything its waht i want to do, i think for me that is the main part of travel, this is what i want to do so iam going to do it.

overall things i have learnt is to copy everything, leave a spare in your suitcase and one home in Australia

Your passport if your life, if you are like me and good at misplacing everything then keep this one close to you

leave free time, you never know what you may discover 

talk with people, especally if you are going to an event, you can make the best of friends.

in the end i want to have travelled to every location and touch every continant.

I plan NOTHING!!!!! It gets me into trouble sometimes, but i usually travel in off season so its not so busy. I think not planning opens you up to a whole bunch of experiences you wouldnt have had if you had planned, but it can be very stressful and exhausting if you are travelling for extended periods of time

Do you think it is possible to overcome these things? What might help a young person to overcome these things and go through with travelling?

Things that would help me are planning beforehand, having someone to travel with (I hate being alone in an unfamilliar city), booking accomodation beforehand, getting all of the relevant immunisations... Other things that would help would be saving money for the trip, organising someone to look after pets or call in on your house, making sure you have somewhere safe to store all of your important valuables (like money, passport, phone), making sure your phone will work overseas/ that you have a way to contact people, being aware of who can help you if you have troubles or get ill while overseas...

Sorry I disappeared for a bit there guys - laptop died so I had to try to revive it Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Hey @DimiJ 

I really admire your determination to get what you want, if you keep up the attitude then im sure you will get there, and i fully support travel in any way possible so go for it!! Money is always a problem for me also when i travel, but if you sacrifice some small things now you will get the benefits later, keep working hard! Great tip about leaving room in your suit case, i always come home with an entirely new bag!!

I'm totally a planner, and I think that is advantageous because it means that you might already have some strategies in place that you can use if things don't go according to plan and have a bit more knowledge of the place you are travelling to. I do think it is equally important to be flexible though, so you don't get stressed out if plans change. Taking things as they come would probably allow you to be more open to things, and I think that is important too.

Sounds like there's benefits to both sides!

So, as our final question for the night... Whether you're an experienced traveller or not, what are your top three essential travel tips?

Things like visa's, passports, immunisations you may need, and any laws the country has that you will need to follow in your everyday conduct, e.g. not wearing short shorts or flashy tops in Muslim countries. These things are musts to check out before you head off overseas.