cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Travel, explore, repeat.

Have you done much travel? Where have you been? Where is number one on your 'places I want to go' list?

I've been to quite a few places, but I really want to explore the mountains in new zealand and maybe head to Ireland sometime in the near future. I think I want to hang out on some mountains and maybe roll down a grassy knoll or two Smiley Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Hey everyone!  Smiley Very Happy

Have you done much travel? Where have you been? Where is number one on your 'places I want to go' list?

I'm a bit of a travel noob - haven't gone to many places apart from interstate and along the coast Smiley Tongue There are so many places that I'd love to go too! But I think my number 1 place at the moment would be Edinburgh, Scotland. Sort of drawn to large cities!

Wow, between us all we've been loads of places! 

Totally agree @Rosie-RO , coming back to this hot summer is killing me! Wish i was in snowy Copenhagen like you @Scyther   

Sounds like we have travelled the whole world between us! 

What's your best travel story? It might be hilarious, a horror story, a series of unfortunate events… do share!

Hey Sophia,

It really is amazing! What did you get to see when you were there? And what were your favourite experiences backpacking through Europe?Smiley Very Happy

The cold is all-pervasive, but as someone who loves cold weather, it only took me a while to get used to it! It's different, though, because in København it is so cold that most people just stay indoors Smiley Tongue However, it gives you an excuse to study instead of going out too much!

Another thing I want to say is: If you are in a country for more than 3 months, I strongly encourage you to learn the language. The feeling of being able to interact with another culture in their home is not only rewarding, but instantly warms them to you, because you are showing genuine interest and putting effort into experiencing their culture and lifestyle. Smiley Happy

@SJG wrote:

Sounds like we have travelled the whole world between us! 

What's your best travel story? It might be hilarious, a horror story, a series of unfortunate events… do share!

One of my favourite travel moments (in retrospect) was Christmas 2011, when I was in Florence. I'd been travelling alone for about six weeks and wasn't paying any attention to the date, because I didn't have any reason to care, and Christmas came around before I realised. Everything in Florence closed down for five days, and I was staying in a dodgy little hostel where I didn't see a single other person the whole time I was there (seriously - they left keys out for me and a week later I left them under the doormat. It was weird). Anyway, it got to the day before Boxing day and everything in the city closed down and I had no food. I wandered the streets in the snow looking for sustenance, and finally found a little old Italian man selling roasted chestnuts wrapped in newspaper. He didn't speak any English and for the next five days I kept returning to his street corner and lived off roasted chestnuts. On Christmas Day I skyped my mum and cried about how I was freezing cold and starving in a foreign country. Next time I'll just pay attention to what the date is and stock up on food before cities shut down...

Flying down to Sydney this one time - a couple pushed in front of me in the queue, had a kid kick my seat during the flight, got lost inner city and was sort of horrified by how large the trains are there o_O

@Scyther  I was actually writing a huge assesment for a short term exchange i did in Holland in January when i was in Copenhagen, so i was a bit of a hermit! But i saw the little mermaid and took a killer selfie with her, i also have red hair so i thought it was fitting! haha But i found the most amazing cafe called Paeleo Pilstreade, you must go there and get the pulled pork wrap. 

Wow thats so amazing that you are learning the language, i can imagine it would help a lot, i know alot of Scandinavians can come across as being a bit cold, but once you get to know them theyre awesome people. What are you studying over there? Have you got a bike? They are pretty crazy on those things arent they! 

@SJG Yeah NZ was fantastic actually. Queenstown, Wellington and Christchurch were my favourite places. The Remarkables (mountains) in Queenstown are beautiful, and there are the most beautiful botanic gardens in Christchurch - so many daffodils (they are my favourite flowers so I loved it!)

In New Zealand we nearly got stuck at Milford Sound (a little place near a lake that has like no accomodation and no shops, they just do boat tours there) because of the snow. We had to leave our hire car there and get a bus back to town because we had no snow chains for the wheels. Then we had to hire another car, to drive back to the original hire car place (2 hours away) to get another hire car for the rest of the week. Such a drama! Good story though, lol Smiley Happy