cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: WTF should I do with my life?

*ahem, well the current three month break was absolutely horrible for me for this reason..

As I am currently reaching the end of a bachelor in sport science and I feel like I want to do more than sport teaching/ex. rehab I need to make some decisions about further study.

Unfortunately, I get so caught up in what people will think about my future decisions that it stops me from actually try them out, e.g. didn't manage to sign up for gamsat in time, spent too much time worrying about the fact that physio might be another 4 yrs for me. In the mean time every else is out there trying things out, some doing something totally different post grad.

It would be better for me to try courses and drop out but I'm too scared to do that! i.e. it would better for me to know for sure by doing courses, that they weren't for me, and not worrying what people say for me dropping out!

Prime example about negative effects of worrying, looking back I can see now that it really stopped me from getting where I want!

How can the indecision of what to do next impact upon your mental health? If it does what can you do? 

I think it depends on the situation. Not being able to choose between juice and water for instance is minor and might be just a little frustration, whereas a life decision might lead to stress or anxiety. If it becomes an issue you could talk to a teacher, lecturer, friend, family member, counsellor, lifeline, kinds help line, talk to a work mate, talk to other young people, get some career guidance, etc. 

How can the indecision of what to do next impact upon your mental health? If it does what can you do? 

For me, I mostly felt anxious, frustrated and feeling low in general. I really admire people who come straight out of school and know what they want to do and stick with it til the very end. Indecision can impact you in so many ways - I know for one, that if you are in a degree you don't particularly enjoy or even wanting to get out of so desperately, you just end up giving up and perhaps, even failing. Although, it's a double-edged sword - it can have some positive effects, like giving you the opportunity to figure out what you want to do with your life. There are plenty of ways to handle indecision so it doesn't affect you in a detrimental way. There's talking to a counsellor at uni or a local psychologist, ringing up Kids Helpline or Lifeline, visiting Headspace or logging into the forums on R.O or Beyondblue to vent or ask for some advice or there's also taking a gap year. Gap years are awesome as you can pretty much do whatever you want - like work, travel or volunteer Smiley Tongue

How can the indecision of what to do next impact upon your mental health?

I think it can make you feel a bit lost because you don't really know where you're going with things. That can make people feel a bit anxious and down (did for me anyway). I think people can especially feel anxious if they feel like there is pressure to make a decision, like there is when young people leave school. If you've had a big change in identity (like leaving school) and don't replace it with something else I think that can make people feel a bit down too.

If it does what can you do? 

I think you just need to be kind to yourself and focus on the positives in your life and things that you do know/ are in control of. Maybe making some plans for the future or goals could help to focus you and make you feel better too?

@Magnetic_Orchid - I agree life happens, I think that is a hard lesson to learn because like you I had a specific plan and once it didnt go right it felt like OMG what now but yeah sometimes the unknown can be an amazing journey.
@worriedsilly worry is my biggest issue to and it really does stop you from progressing and taking a step forward sometimes.

Asking for help - of course! Don't know how I forgot that! Totally agree with everyone's posts Smiley Happy

@Myvo I was one of those people who went from school and knew exactly what I wanted and now I sort of regret it because a break would have allowed for me to enjoy life and travel. I think what is also important and something I should learn myself is not going WHAT IF... because that can bring you back 10 steps.

It sure has been an amazing journey, the 5 year plan had nothing compared to this. Yay life! Smiley Very Happy

@worriedsilly Same here! Was doing a Bachelor of Exercise Science and figured it wasn't for me. There's always time to find out what you want to do and it's worth going with your passion rather than regretting it. I was also worried about what people may think of my decisions but at the end of the day, it's what you think that matters. And there are people that will support you no matter what Smiley Happy 

Sometimes I think the worst thing can be getting stuck in that trap of indecision. Where you've spent so long not making a decision about something, that you can sometimes get to a point where mentally it becomes too hard to make the decision.

Suddenly you're tossing up too many options, or you've exhausted all your ideas and don't have any fresh ones. That's the pits.

Getting out of it is the hardest part, but I think it's really important to start small and make some simple decisions to work your way back up to those really major ones, like going job hunting, or enrolling to study.