cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: WTF should I do with my life?

Great discussion tonight everyone and thanks for joining us! Smiley Very Happy Here's what we chatted about for those who couldn't make it or would like to reflect:

We all do a range of things with our time- some are at different stages of their study, some work and volunteer, one was even in the process of planning to move to a different state.

Sometimes what we're doing isn't where our interests really are but sometimes it is. Here's what we are passionate about: Helping others, volunteering, art, working with children, drama, music, theatre, youth mental health, cooking recipes from different cuisines, travelling, humanitarian aid, animals, sport, technology, photography, creating, craft...talk about diverse! Smiley Happy

Indecision can and generally will impact all of us at some point and when it does it can, depending on the situation, it might just a little frustration but in other cases it could lead to stress or anxiety or make you feel low or lost. In some cases you might have to reflect or revise what you're going to do or re-evaluate what interests you and try different things. And that's perfectly okay, be kind to yourself.

If things get too much though or you get stuck in a circle of indecision then it could be helpful to talk to counsellor at school or uni or a local psychologist, ring up Kids Helpline or Lifeline, visiting Headspace or logging into the forums on R.O or Beyondblue, talk to family or friends or get some career guidance.

Change can impact us by making us feel overwhelmed, lost, happy, sad, sacred, anxious among other emotions.
You can help prepare yourself for change by looking for things that you can keep consistent whether that's keeping in contact with friends or having something you do to help you relax like a favourite song or sport or game, etc. It's also important to take care of yourself and plan ahead if you can and talking to others about how you're feeling.

When you're trying to decide what to do next you could try looking at your passions and interests, writing notes, talking to others (family, friends, counsellor/psychologist, other young people, guidance counsellor, mentor, lecturers or teachers), evaluate your skills, go to tafe and uni open days, do volunteering or work experience in an area that interests you, research your options, travel/take a gap year or semester.

We discussed what we'd like to be doing in the next 5 years and some ways we're planning to take steps towards our goals in the short term included volunteering, studying, looking for job opportunities, planning or mapping out options, doing placements and researching opportunities, meeting new people and saving money.

Highlighted

That is awesome DD and I agree with you knowing that you are not alone is the best feeling I definitely feel more motivated now Smiley Happy

Thanks for such a great discussion tonight guys.

Thank you everyone for being your awesome selves and sharing so much with us tonight and I feel so much better and less worried I will definitely work on that Smiley Happy Have a great week everyone