cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: We like to party

@gail wrote:

What kind of things can make a great night out turn sour? How can you avoid these situations?

... To answer my own question.

Too much alcohol/drugs - to the point where you/others are sick or unconscious, having to look after others, people getting emotional, fighting/drama. I guess they can be avoided by planning how much you're going to drink and pacing yourself as well as alternating alcoholic drinks with water or soft drink, and staying calm and not taking things to heart if drunk friends are being over emotional... It's hard to control what others do, so I guess being aware of your limits and responsibilities.

Seems as though we have some fairly good idea on what makes a party turn sour and how to avoid them! Thanks for sharing guys - keep those tips coming!

Have you ever had to help friends out at a party or on a night out? How did you help them?

Highlighted

@gail wrote:

What kind of things can make a great night out turn sour? How can you avoid these situations?

Not being supportive of each other and respecting each other's wishes. If a friend wants to leave early, or doesn't want to drink than we should respect that! Little things like safety should also be considered! Making sure you know where all your friends are is important too. Smiley Happy I think having good solid plans in place, is important for avoiding sour situations! Also... DESIGNATED DRIVERS!!!!!

Make sure you drink plenty of water too, if you are drinking alochol! Most bars will give out free water, so make good use of it!

Highlighted

Plenty of times and I wish I'd known then what I know now like not putting people in bed or the shower! But you should always stick with your buddies if they neeed you (although people do need to aft pork after themselves too)

Highlighted

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Have you ever had to help friends out at a party or on a night out? How did you help them?

Yep, I've had to take drunk friends home, hold their hair up in the bathroom, had to talk to bouncers who were getting aggro at my friends, had to console them the next day that they didn;t do anything embarrassing etc etc, most of it involves alcohol and too much of it!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@gail: I meant dressing up as in dressing up in a dress and heels but dressing up in theme is also awesome! I haven't done that in ages...

@MM: I wore new heels on the weekend too! They are my first new pair in years so I was pretty excited Smiley Very Happy

The main things I can think of are fighting with friends and getting drunk and doing something silly. To avoid these two situations I would try to keep the lines of communication open with friends, and as for the second one, I don't normally drink so avoiding that one should be easy!!

Highlighted

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

I've had to do this A LOT. From friends getting upset and crying, or fighting with each other, to having to take care of drug/alcohol effected friends and keep them conscious, to having to call ambulances and go with friends to hospital. 

If someone was upset, I'd usually try to calm them down on my own, or distract them from whatever was upsetting them… and if I couldn't, I'd recruit someone to help me. If they're completely overemotional & unable to calm down, I've left parties early a few times to take them home & get them to bed, or have asked their friends/partner to take them home. When friends are fighting I'd do similar - try to calm them down and remind them that they're effected by alcohol/drugs, and that whatever they're fighting over can be dealt with later, when they're sober. Usually we'd get one friend to stay with each of those that were arguing and try to buffer the arguing friends from each other.

When friends have gotten sick from drugs/alcohol, if they're not feeling well or vomiting I'd stay with them (either at the party or take them home) and try to rehydrate them with water, and obviously not let them drink any more/take any more drugs. I'd keep an eye on them and keep them talking until I thought they were getting better/sobering up, then help them get cleaned up and into bed. If a friend is unconscious, I'd try to wake them up and then keep them awake and talking, and if they wouldn't wake up, I'd call an ambulance straight away. I've been to hospital with friends a couple of times, and have waited until my friends woke up for them to decide if/who they wanted to call.

Highlighted

Yep, I was 17, it was at my year 12 formal after party and I had no idea what to do. I tried to help by attempting to stop our classmates supplying her with drinks when she was clearly wasted already, trying to get her to drink some water, trying to look after her while she was vomiting and eventually getting my mum to call hers to take her home (the party wasn't at mine, but she was supposed to stay at my place after the party) because we were both worried about her.

@gail: They sound like awesome ways to help friends!! I'll have to keep them in mind Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@DD - that's great that you asked for help when you didn't know what to do. I've had friends who have had to look after me in the past, and on two occasions they didn't know what to do and called my parents for help - and while I was pretty pissed off at the time, one of those times saved my life - so in retrospect I'm incredibly grateful that they were brave enough to call for help even though they knew I'd be angry about it.

Highlighted

Wow. Sounds as though a lot of us have had experience with having to help drunk friends! You all have some awesome advice! I also think trying to prevent the situation is the most effective technique! So making sure our friends eat, and drink plenty of water if they are drinking alcohol.

I love that we are all so caring for our friends! Smiley Happy It's great to see! But it can be upsetting seeing a friend so unwell from alcohol/drugs!

Thanks for all your thoughts guys! Smiley Happy