cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to the end of the year.

For many people this is a time of partying, good food, good company and time to prepare for the new year. It can also be a time of reflection. 

In ReachOut.com's LAST Getting Real session for the year, we’ll be chatting about all things to do with this time of year. Love it or hate it - the Festive/Christmas/New Year party season is here!

We’ll be kicking off with a discussion on the year that was and reflect on how we can think positively about the year - even if we experienced some setbacks throughout 2012. Then, looking ahead to 2013 and beyond! What are your plans for the new year? How can you achieve them? We’ll also chat a bit about surviving the summer/party season. We’ll also talk about how to deal with those family members that we mightn't want to spend time with!

Have a think about some of things you have coming up/planned over the summer that you’d like to talk about or perhaps something you’ve learnt this year that you’d like to reflect on?

There’ll be loads to chat about on Monday night – not to mention a bit of an end of year celebration! We’ve loved having you as part of the ReachOut.com community this year and want to celebrate with you all. We really hope you can join us!

Hope to see you on Monday 17 December 2012 at 8pm (AEDST). Won’t be a party without you! 

Re: Welcome to the end of the year.

Welcome everyone to our GR session tonight

We will be looking back at the year we have had and discussing the positives, what we are going to get up to this festive season and sharing our plans to party safe. The amazing facilitators are Sophie, mischiefmanaged and myself. Tonight we are going to be talking about the positive experiences we have had this year and how we can have a great holiday this summer.

If you feel upset at all during the discussion remember that there are people you can talk to. See the emergency Help tab in the top right corner of this page (the yellow one). Also keep the Community Guidelines in mind so that we can keep the discussion on track and useful for everyone. 

We will close the forum at the end of the discussion but if you have any unanswered queries please contact the RO crew on crew@reachout.com or follow these links.

We also have a PARTY thread which you can join during the convo Smiley Happy

So to start u off...

How was your year compared to how you thought it would be?

Hi gang.. Well I don't really know what I expected out of my year... but nothing massively surprising happened... I have the same job... But I did move house...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

This was a massive year for me. The house my boyfriend and I were renting was sold, and we had to move into a new place which turned out to be better. I quit my job just after I was offered a promotion. I took ten weeks to go traveling around North and South America by myself. Then a couple of weeks ago my boyfriend of four years broke up with me out of the blue so I returned to Adelaide to live with my mum. There have been some ups and some very big downs and I'm actually looking forward to 2013 as a fresh start.

Wow, so many changes ElleBelle! Youy must be uber resilient! Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good evening all!!

@Soph; moving house is never fun! But it's nice to be somewhere new!

@Elle; sounds like your year has been adventurous to say the least - looking forward to a new start is something many people feel at this time of year! Smiley Happy

This year I graduated from uni, my mum got married and I learnt a bit more about who my true friends were. I also came off antidepressant medication (under supervision from health professionals) for the first time in 7 years which is a BIG thing. And that has actually gone reasonably okay - which is better than I expected.
There were still a few things in the year that I wish happened but didn't - maybe some of those things will happen next year?

I've struggled with a lot of things this year, but have also done a huge number of things when I look back. At the start of the year, I moved out to live on my own. I then did my internship with Inspire (which seems like so long ago now!) and became a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut. I worked 5 jobs for the vast majority of the year. I completed my uni degree and got accepted in to Masters for 2013. I have somehow managed to make plans and secure employment that should financially support me for the duration of 2013. There have also been a huge number of negatives, but let's not dwell on those.

Welcome Emily,

Sounds as though your year has been very busy! But there are some real positives in there. Smiley Happy I like that you are trying not to dwell on the negatives. I like to think that with a new year approaching we can try and forget about the bad things that happened this year and look forward to the new year! Smiley Happy It can be tough to do though!

Evening all! So excited for GR tonight Smiley Very Happy

Hmm... What a big question! My year was probably better than I thought it would be on the whole. I thought it was going to be really annoying and slow because I had to do some 'catch up courses' at uni rather than go straight into the 3rd year of my degree like I wanted to. Lots of the courses weren't really related to my interests either so I wasn't looking forward to them. However the way my year panned out at uni enabled me to do branch out and do some things I wouldn't have done had I gone straight into 3rd year (such as volunteering) and cultivate some non-uni interests. I also learnt some new skills in my courses and did actually find some of them more interesting than I thought they would be. I also connected with a lot of new people (through uni and my other interests) which was really cool Smiley Happy and I've also done a few more things socially than I would have done last year, so I've grown in that way too. It was a challenging year, but all in all pretty good so I can't complain! What about eveyone else?

At the beginning of the year and the end of last year I was expecting a lot from this year. Especially because it all started off well, January was the best January I had had in years, possibly ever. February was when the cracks began to form, by March they were cemented and I didn't start turning things around until later. I'm ending it on a good note again.

It certainly wasn't as good as it could have been, and I didn't achieve what I thought I would back then but it wasn't a complete failure either. Certainly one of the better years of the last 5 years.