cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are you afraid of?

That's a good one Chonty Smiley Happy All of mine seem pretty bland in comparison!

Thanks for sharing with us guys, 

When did you first realise that you had this particular fear? Was it by accidential or a surprising discovery?

I can't really remember when I first realised my fears, needles and spiders... nor can i remember when i grew out of them...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@michine wrote:

That's a good one Chonty Smiley Happy All of mine seem pretty bland in comparison!

Thanks for sharing with us guys, 

When did you first realised you have this particular fear? Was it an accidental and/or surprising discovery?

My fear of holes was always a sneaky suspicion when i randomly came across an article about trypophobia and locus flower in the Sydney Morning Herald and it all made sense!! So, it was in a sense accidental discovery 

When did you first realised you have this particular fear? Was it an accidential and/or surprising discovery?

I think I was always afraid of the dark, since thats when my nightmares would come. I would wake up in the middle of the night, and it would be pitch black, and my dreams would invade my waking life. I really noticed it when I had to walk down the street at night as a young kid (we lived in a rural town) and I would seriously freak out and just start running until I was somewhere where there was a light. I never told anyone.

When did you first realise that you had this particular fear? Was it by accidential and/or surprising discovery?

Falling - I realised because I was a competitive gymnast for about ten years, and would freak out really badly every time I fell off apparatus (perhaps gymnastics wasn't the best choice of sport...)

Things being disorganised - has always been an issue but has gotten worse throughout my university studies

Walking alone in the dark - wasn't a problem until a few years ago when it came on pretty suddenly and I realised by accident

Loud unexpected noises - has always been a fear of mine, I get quite panicky

Big dogs - I've never owned a dog and didn't even realise I was scared of them until I started nannying for a family in 2008 who had a dog, and I would take it to the dog park... I was fine with their dog because I knew it, but I was always super scared of the other dogs (especially the big ones)

@T-W: That's a great way of putting it. I think that when we are young we're all scared of the dark (even though we might not admit it!). My own personal fear came from not knowing what was lurking in the dark, at which point my imagination runs wild.

When did you first realise that you had this particular fear? Was it by accidential or a surprising discovery?

My agoraphobia was diagnosed by a psychologist. Before I was diagnosed I commonly saw agoraphobia defined as 'fear of open spaces' which I didn't really think of myself of having it at all, so I was quite surprised. However that definition doesn't really capture the complexity of what it (agoraphobia) actually is, and once I understood it more it made sense to me. Emetophobia was something that I came to the conclusion that I had when I was teenager when I got sick with a few vomiting bugs. It was actually kind of useful as it meant I wasn't too keen on getting blind drunk like my friends because I didn't want to vomit.

Highlighted

Thanks everyone for all your responses so far. 

3. Have you told someone about your fear (not including tonight Smiley Happy ? If you have, how did you feel afterwards? If you haven't, what could be some reasons for holding back?

ohhh fear of falling! I thought you said failing gail!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@delicatedreamer wrote:

My agoraphobia was diagnosed by a psychologist. Before I was diagnosed I commonly saw agoraphobia defined as 'fear of open spaces' which I didn't really think of myself of having it all, so I was quite surprised. However that definition doesn't really capture the complexity of what it actually is, and once I understood it more it made sense to me. Emetophobia was something that I came to the conclusion that I had when I was teenager when I got sick with a few vomiting bugs. It was actually kind of useful as it meant I wasn't too keen on getting blind drunk like my friends because I didn't want to vomit.

That's a common misconception about agoraphobia. It's not a fear of open spaces, it's a fear of being in a situation where one might experience panic (which for a lot of people, is in open spaces).