cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are you afraid of?

Now that I write it, I think its tied in with a lot of things that were going on with me, or maybe still are.

One of the biggest things I was afraid of, and maybe still am, is that I'm not really here, or that I am just dreaming, or that my reality is an illusion, or just a virtual reality, like in the matrix. Taking drugs, and my dreams told me that I was living a lie, and I believed it, and began to fear that I was being duped in some way...

Feels like ice in the freaking stomach, and what I'm guessing is survival mode, thinking of whatever you could do to get out of the situation

What are some of the physical and psychological things you feel when you are faced with a fear?  

I feel sick to the stomach like nausea. Butterflies in the stomach, goosebumps and my hands would shake. I would also need to look away from the object that i am afraid of. 

What are some of the physical and psychological things you feel when you are faced with a fear?  

Physical: shaky, cold sweats, racing heart, lump in my throat, feeling like I can't breath deeply enough

Psychological: racing thoughts, catastrophizing, looking around everywhere and trying to pay attention to everything that is happening around me

Paranoia. Intense adrenalin. Panic. Tense muscles. Tunnel vision. Racing thoughts.

@Sophie: Haha I would to if my mum didn't pin me down.

Physically I tend to get sweaty and become extremely quiet.

Psychologically: I'm usually kicking myself over what is an irrational fear and really is either not real or has such a low risk (like falling through a glass floor on the top level).

Sorry for the late join, only just saw the post on Facebook (it was a pretty funny comic).

I actually am really afraid of deep water. When my feet can't touch the ground without my head going underwater, it feels like I am going to die. And I guess I hate spiders too. Both fears from bad childhood experiences I guess.

Physically, I don't get much happening, probably more blood pumps through my veins and my eyes dilute and other sciencey things. I remebering shaking when a spider crawled up my hands, I couldn't write for awhile, so I guess that is something that did affect me. 

Have you told someone about your fear (not including tonight :smileyhappy: ? If you have, how did you feel afterwards? If you haven't, what could be some reasons for holding back?

Not really. They're not things I talk about a lot. Reasons for holding back are that it's a bit awkward, and I'm worried about being judged too.

Highlighted

wow, tw - such a full on feeling, thanks for sharing... glad that you've at least made some movement in addressing this fear, even if you maybe still struggle with it sometimes...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yep Chonty, exactly. Flight or fight!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com