cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: What are you afraid of?

What would you say to a friend if you knew they were facing a fear?

I would tell that they're not alone (we all have fears) and that I'm there for them if they need any help.

No worries mate. I have a fear too. 

On a serious note. I would ask my friend "How are coping with your fear? If you need someone to talk to, you know where to find me." 

I'd be encouraging and let them know that I have faith in them to overcome their fear, and also let them know that if they want or need help, I'm available. I wouldn't push that help on them though, I would let them come to me.

If they wanted to talk about their fear I might try to help them identify the irrational thoughts behind their fears and help them replace these with more realistic thoughts, but I think that depth would only really be appropriate with someone I knew pretty well and who was comfortable and wanting to face their fear and talk about it.

I would remind them that its all in their head. If they want to leave their fate up to random brain chemistry, then they will have to live with themselves knowing that that is how it is. I would ask them to challenge their beliefs, and help them to challenge the thing they were afraid of as well. Being afraid of something to the point that it stops you from living your life is horrible, I would want them to overcome it.

But in saying that, I tried it with my mum, and she is too far gone. Some people can't be helped. You just need to be tolerant of those people, and not judgemental.

Great answers, you guys sound like great friends!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Keep your answers coming for all the Questions, we just going to put the last Q out there now

There are some pretty over-the-top representations of fears and phobias in film and tv. What are some of your favourite fear/phobias moments in film and tv?

Phobias in Popular Culture?

Perhaps Homophobia? TV generally likes to polarise opinion when in fact there is a whole spectrum of opinion that can't be narrowed down to "supporters VS haters".

And also maybe the fear of getting lost. For me it is an adventure to not know where I am, a chance for new experiences!

Definitely The Evil Dead triology.

Do yourself a huge favour and watch these movies if you haven't already. Bruce Campbell is a total ledgend. Don't worry if you laugh, its meant to be funny.

There are some pretty over-the-top representations of fears and phobias in film and tv. What are some of your favourite fear/phobias moments in film and tv?

Some of the films I've seen are not particular targetted to exploring about a phobia, but it would get the person that has that phobia squirming

• abyss (claustrophobia)
  • eight legged freak (spiders)
  • piranhas (for people who is afraid of deep waters and not knowing what is lurking below)
  • anaconda (snake phobia)

disclaimer: may or may not have gotten the film names correct. I was too busy being scared to remember the film title

This isn't an over-the-top one, but my all time favourite was when April had OCD in Home and Away. I really related to some of the fears she expressed in that storyline. The resolution was a bit rushed (as it often is in those shows) which was unrealistic I think, but it has been referred back to in other storylines that the character has been involved in which I think is good continuity Smiley Happy.