cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are you afraid of?

@DD: is agoraphobia more about having a fear of having a panic attack somewhere unfamiliar?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

When I was younger I think my mum knew about my fears, and I think she just found it frustrating at the doctors but just tried to talk me through the reality of getting a needle and what it would be like... not sure if it helped or not!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Have you told someone about your fear (not including tonight :smileyhappy: ? If you have, how did you feel afterwards? If you haven't, what could be some reasons for holding back?

I never told anyone, since I didn't think anyone would believe me. I saw things that weren't real, and I knew I just had to deal with it on my own. Plus I guess I didn't want anyone to think I was weak, or have a weakness that could be exploited. I always had a very big inner strength, and I was even a bit taken aback by my own weakness.

Have you told someone about your fear (not including tonight :smileyhappy: ? If you have, how did you feel afterwards? If you haven't, what could be some reasons for holding back?

Yep, I have. Usually I tell someone if I feel like it's necessary for them to know in order to make sure I don't get put in a situation that I find uncomfortabe. I feel relieved afterwards. I have a few other fears that I didn't list tonight though, which I'm generally hesitant to talk to people about. A few of the closest people to me know, but I guess I hold back because I'm worried that people would ask questions about my fears, or judge me for having them.

Have you told someone about your fear (not including tonight Smiley Happy ? If you have, how did you feel afterwards? If you haven't, what could be some reasons for holding back?

I've never told anyone of my fears, that is until I've gotten over them. My reason for holding back has always been to not appear to be weak and afraid of anything.

@Gail: That's a great reason to share your fear with someone close. I've been put in quite a few situations where I have been freaked out of my mind.

I have told my friends when our conversation deviated into phobias on facebook. For those that I have told, I just feel accepted. My friends just listened and nodded. For those that I havent told, well, there is no guilt for not telling them. It is just not the time for them to know yet. 

I never told my family, because I know they will never support me. 

Hey TW, well considering you've never told anyone before, I'm really stoked you are able to talk about it with us tonight! Though remember that the strongest thing we can do is ask for help!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks for the responses guys. Moving along...

What are some of the physical and psychological things you feel when you are faced with a fear?  

Wow, seems like a few of us are affected by societies demands on us to not appear weak! Sometimes it's those very things we avoid because of perceived weakness that actually require the most strength...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@michine wrote:

What are some of the physical and psychological things you feel when you are faced with a fear?  

I get flushed, sweat, stomach turns, and do whatever nessecary to get out of the situation (like kicking the doctor)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com