cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Whether you think you can or think you can’t – you are right.

@gail: Don't worry about it, as _sagira_ said, sometimes the technology isn't on our side!

Why do you think some people are more positive about themselves than others?

That's a good question. Some people are just naturally like that I think, it's just part of their personality. Others try to focus on the positives in things I think, and are kind to themselves and are proud when they do things well... I don't really know why though. Because they have higher self esteem maybe? This is really hard!

I agree with you DD - I think how positive we are about ourselves is a combination of things: how we are naturally, as well as practice learning to be kind to ourselves! I do think that everyone experiences some level of negativity towards themselves - whether or not they accept those thoughts/beliefs as truth is a different matter. I guess it's important that even though we all have those thoughts, we learn to manage them and challenge them in order to think about ourselves more positively.

Next question...

A lot of people find it easier to come up with negatives about themselves rather than positives - why do you think this might be?

@gail wrote:

I do think that everyone experiences some level of negativity towards themselves - whether or not they accept those thoughts/beliefs as truth is a different matter. I guess it's important that even though we all have those thoughts, we learn to manage them and challenge them in order to think about ourselves more positively.

Totally agree gail.

A lot of people find it easier to come up with negatives about themselves rather than positives - why do you think this might be?

For me it comes from being in habit of using negative thought patterns and having low self esteem, so I tend to automatically jump to negative conclusions about myself based on that. Another reason why might be that the the person may have had negative beliefs about themselves reinforced by other people (through bullying etc.).

@delicatedreamer wrote:

For me it comes from being in habit of using negative thought patterns and having low self esteem, so I tend to automatically jump to negative conclusions about myself based on that. Another reason why might be that the the person may have had negative beliefs about themselves reinforced by other people (through bullying etc.).

Yep, I agree with these. I think society also plays a role - we're often so focused on pointing out the negatives or comparing ourselves to others, and we forget to acknowledge what we're good at. 

Hey guys,

Just dropping in, might stick around but probably not as I'm cold and tired!!!

Do you think it's important to feel good about yourself? How do you think the way we feel about ourselves might impact other areas our lives?
Of course, but I also think it's important to be aware of our "negatives" too. It's never good to focus just on the positives or just on the negatives. It can impact on every aspect of our life - our confidence is important for how we approach life in general, how we do at school/uni/work, how we interact with others etc.

Why do you think some people are more positive about themselves than others?
It's just individual differences I guess. And often if you get more feedback, it will mean you feel more positive about yourself. It's like if you get a new haircut and get heaps of positive comments about it, it can make you feel more positive about yourself in every day life! Some people who get complimented a lot about various parts of themselves, then it means they feel more positive in general.

Often I think our negatives are pointed out to us more than our positives so it's easier for us to pinpoint them. It's very much a matter of self-esteem though and how things in your life are generally going!

MM

@delicatedreamer wrote:

For me it comes from being in habit of using negative thought patterns and having low self esteem, so I tend to automatically jump to negative conclusions about myself based on that. 

I agree, I've had issues with that too DD. I think for me I had low self-esteem anyway and I just got into the habit of being negative about myself and regarding others as better, etc- and habits can be hard to break. 

@gail wrote:

@delicatedreamer wrote:

Yep, I agree with these. I think society also plays a role - we're often so focused on pointing out the negatives or comparing ourselves to others, and we forget to acknowledge what we're good at. 

Yes absolutely! That is a really good point. We love in such an achievement focused society it can be really hard when don't live up to the expectations (real or imagined) of other people and society in general.

Thanks for dropping by MM! Totally agree with you on the need to be aware of both our negatives and positives - balance is key though!

That's an interesting thought that our negatives are pointed out to us more than our positives, but I think you might be onto something. It's kind of what I was trying to get at with the thought that society is very focused on achievement and constant self improvement. I know for me in my experiences through school, uni, work etc, the feedback I've gotten from others has more often been focused on what I could do better, rather than acknowledging and praising the things I'm already doing well. Is this similar for others?

Highlighted

Yes definitely, Gail.

I have noticed this at work a lot lately... there is one manager especially who is ALWAYS telling us what we can do better or what we are not doing right, yet she NEVER tells us anything that we are doing well... It gets me down after a while and just the workplace in general doesn't praise you... at all. It's something I think workplaces should think about and do more often - little things like employer of the week or giving you positve feedback once a week... They would be a great confidence booster! 

And yes, totally agree about feedback from assignments - although I do get a fair bit of positive feedback on essays/lab reports (it depends on the individual tutor, I think though!)... Little comments like "good", "great". But there are probably more negatives pointed out.

Yes gail I do feel like we're told as a society to constantly keep 'improving' ourselves.  It's no wonder we never feel adequate enough.  There's such a high expectation on your performance all the time.