cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: White Ribbon Day

Statistics show that over 90% of domestic incidents involve a male as the perpetrator. What are some of the positive roles that men can play in ending domestic violence?

Speaking out against it is a good start.

If a male feels like he has a problem with Domestic violence there is help out there , counselling etc. Speaking out, more information about domestic violence that it's not okay etc.

Statistics show that over 90% of domestic incidents involve a male as the perpetrator. What are some of the positive roles that men can play in ending domestic violence?

I think a lot of men dont speak up about it because they dont want to get involved but I think having other male friends backing you up makes it a lot easier. Also teaching the boys how to treat women can change domestic violence in the future. 

Yep, I love the White Ribbon Day campaign for this reason! Speaking out against sexist jokes or jokes about violence/rape is a great start
http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/uploads/media/updated_factsheets_Nov_13/Factsheet_2_The_positive_roles...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

A lot of people think about physical violence when they hear the term domestic violence. While that is part of it, there is much more to it than that.

What other types of things are also considered domestic violence?

I think everyone has already summed this up beautifully! Controlling, emotional, mental abuse...

@Sophie-RO I'm with DelicateDreamer, I didn't know that definition either, I knew it was broad, but wasn't 100% sure..

@dreamer Yeah I can kinda relate to that on a low level...

If you were to describe a healthy relationship, free from any form of domestic violence, what would that be like?

I love how @ruenhonx described this one, trust, respect, equality.

I think a healthy relationship both builds all parties up and supports them in times of need. I'm not sure how else to explain it.. 

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Welcome Bee 

Thank you for joining us Smiley Happy Support is a big one because you rely on someone to be there for you.

Changing social perspective is a big one. More easily said than done. Maybe my words aren't quite clear on that but I think that if your peer group (friends, co-workers, etc) are making jokes about violence against women than as a male, it would be up to you to tell them that it's not ok. Ok, basically, I'm saying that if joking about violence is the norm and there's no change implemented then it stays the norm.

Education is another - like workshops, talks and seminars - can also be useful, particularly in a workplace/school/uni setting. Being a role model or having a 'position of power' can also be very influential. For example, a father could teach his children that violence is never the answer and is never ok. A teacher could do a social sciences (SOSE) or humanities unit on the matter to allow students to further explore the topic. Emergency services such as those in the police force, fire unit and health services can undertake training or attend a seminar to understand why this violence is unacceptable and what steps they can take to help those affected as well as approaching the perpetrator appropriately. There is also the chance for legislators to review current laws and prosecutions in regards to the matter.  In local areas, it could be very beneficial for councils or social services to publicly release or even publicise more on what sources are available in areas such as phone numbers and emergency accomodation. 

@ruenhonx wrote:

I think a lot of men dont speak up about it because they dont want to get involved but I think having other male friends backing you up makes it a lot easier. Also teaching the boys how to treat women can change domestic violence in the future. 

I agree completely with this Rue, educating young boys and men (so that they can hopefully educate their friends and speak up if they see domestic violence occuring) is so important.

What are some of the ways that people who are trans* or in same sex attracted relationships might find it difficult to speak up about experiencing domestic violence? What about aboriginal women or women from culturally diverse backgrounds?

Sorry guys, have to head off early! Smiley Sad
Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy