cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Volunteer?

@dreamcatcher  I agree, I would love love love to give blood but my fear for needles, nurses and something going wrong is so strong, how do you do it @Rhelna ?

@dreamcatcher You do get used to it after a while. I was like that with the needles at first too. Smiley Happy

@delicatedreamer I did some student mentoring as well Smiley Happy its a great way to get confident I found 

I agree @ruenhonx I got a lot of confidence out of it Smiley Happy. Made heaps of friends too!

@ruenhonx Not a lot usually goes wrong... It's pretty safe... They make sure you're okay to give blood first, so yeah Smiley Happy
You do get used to the needles eventually.

firstly LOVE the hunger games pic!

Secondly, I have done a lot of volunteer work! like dreamcatcher I've probably spent more time volunteering my time then working. But in saying that I have gotten far more joy and satisfaction from the time I've spent volunteering then I have doing paid work! And yes, most of my friends volunteer. It's an awesome way to meet people, feel some purpose and connection.
Highlighted

Have you done volunteer work? What type? Do any of your friends volunteer?

I've done a fair bit of volunteer work for the past 7+ years.

I started doing volunteer work in year 11 or 12. When I went out with my school in the mornings and at night to provide food and have a chat to those less fortunate (mostly homeless). It was a great experience! I also helped out in a soup kitchen once and also spent a day with some refugee families, and another day with a couple of people with disabilities. I was so lucky that my school provided these opportunties.

After high school, for the past 5 years I've regularly participated in camps with kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. I think I've done 11 or so. I have had so much fun on those camps!!! I was quite addicted to them at one point lol.

I've also volunteered with ReachOut for a very long time. Which has also been amazing!

There have also been other random opportunities along the way such as helping out with the Christmas appeal one year and helping clean up after the Brisbane floods. All of them have provided me with heaps of amazing memories and experiences.

I have met a lot of my very close friends through volunteering! It's a great way to meet people! So most of my friends currently do volunteer work or have done in the past. 

It sounds like most of us here have done a range of volunteering experience which is amazing Smiley Happy but for those who have not and are thinking about it, What kind of volunteering options are out there? Where could you find opportunities?

Welcome bluesandyellow!

If I could not work just volunteer for the rest of my life, I think I would. Smiley Tongue It definitely IS a lot more fun than paid work lol.

Hello everyone!

Volunteering is really what got me where I am today! I studied psych after getting experience at reachout.com, and I've met some amazing people because of the work I've done!

I also give blood - I think Imainly do it for the free milkshake and hotdog Smiley Happy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.