cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Volunteer?

How do you know what volunteer opportunities suit you? 

I like helping people so I tend to go for volunteer opportunities that involve helping and educating others. That's why I love student mentoring, because I get to help people for free! And the students so appreciate it which is lovely.

I also now try to go for ones that don't have a huge time commitment. Earlier this year I took on a few volunteer commitments in addition to paid work and uni and ended up getting a bit stressed and having to drop a few things, so I think knowing the type of thing your looking for and how much time and energy you can devote to it is important.

EDIT: Agree with everyone saying trial and error. I went for one earlier this year that I thought would be perfect for me but it ended up stressing me out a bit so I had to drop it. I was disappointed because I loved the organisation, but never mind. You've just got to have a go and see what works.

@itsonlyher That is not unkind or ungrateful at all. Volunteering is about give and take, you give your time and experience and you take away from it life and work experience and gain new friends. That is amazing if volunteering gives you that. Smiley Happy I'm the same as well. I want to learn all I can so I can apply to my work and life experience as well as help others. 

I would highly recommend volunteering to everyone. It's great that Australia has such a strong culture for it, not every country has it. But just as you can get 'helper's high', you can get a bit burnt out or frustrated if you aren't learning new things, or trying new things in your volunteering. I guess choose volunteering gigs like you would choose jobs or internships. Ones that has a clear application process, posts gigs up like job ads are good indicators that they are clear what they want from you, and what they can offer you in return. And treat the applying process like you would if you were applying for a paid job (i.e. research the organisation etc) So it's a win-win for everyone Smiley Happy That's just my humble two-cents.

I think that, if it's something you enjoy and it makes you feel good, it's a good opportunity for you. If you find yourself not wanting to do it, it just isn't your thing!

Highlighted

@itsonlyher, you raise a great point about getting burnt out!! So important to be aware if you have taken on too much.

@Magga, that's the great thing about volunteering too! If it doesn't suit you can just say it isn't for you and try something else!

I believe that if you enjoy it, you're passionate about it as well as finding joy in helping others, volunteering is definitely for you. To dedicate your time and effort into a volunteering opp is a big deal and it means that you've found something new or even familiar that you're interested in. Smiley Very Happy

@mischiefmanaged, that's true! You're not locked into it like you might be with a paid regular job. The freedom is great!

Hey everyone- sorry I'm majorly late. Just thought I'd drop in for a little bit and share my thoughts. Smiley Happy

Have you done volunteer work? What type? Do any of your friends volunteer?
Yep, I’ve done several types of volunteer work from running the canteen stall at my local Little Athletics group to being on the youth reference group for my local Headspace to doing several roles at ReachOut Australia.

What kind of volunteering options are out there? Where could you find opportunities?
Just about anywhere- at school or uni, with not-for-profit organisations, at church, at your local youth centre (Headspace or other types), etc…
Sometimes there’ll be opportunities listed online- for instance my state has a website with volunteering opportunities or look on the website for your favourite organisation and things like that.

I think it’s a matter of working out what your skills are/what you have to offer and also what you’re passionate about.Smiley Happy

It's great to see everyone here so passionate about volunteering, we need more people like you guys in the world Smiley Happy

How has volunteering made you feel or how do you think it would make you feel?

Welcome Myvo & Lightuptheworld,

Thanks for sharing your insights into volunteering! Smiley Very Happy