cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Volunteer?

If you had a friend who was thinking of volunteering for the first time, what's the number one tip you would provide them with?

Try as many new things as possible, even if it is totally out of your "comfort zone", give it a try. I've gone down slides of mud, spoken at conferences and sung karaoke in front of 30+ people... I would NEVER have dreamt of doing those things if I didn't volunteer! But I did them because I gave it a go and I was passionate about the cause. It doesn't hurt to try!

Highlighted

If you had a friend who was thinking of volunteering for the first time, what's the number one tip you would provide them with?

Do something that makes you scared, but not so much that would put yourself in harm/danger. 

Don't sell yourself out. you have something valuable to offer as well, even if you might not think it.

Be open minded.

Sorry, that's not 'one' is it. sorry.

I was recently told that in order to have an adventure you need to be at least 5% nervous Smiley Happy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Great tips everyone!

To finish off tonight....

Tell us one funny experience you have had volunteering?

I would say being constantly mistaken as a nurse and telling me rather strange stories about themselves. Smiley Embarassed

Hmm, well most of my funny experiences were me accidentally leaving the mic on while doing radio and talking with my co-presenter about embarrassing stuff. Haha Smiley Happy

I've had so many hilarious experiences! One excellent workshop I found myself tied to another volunteer hopping around the sydney cbd doing a scavenger hunt. I think we ran about 5 ks tied to each other Smiley Happy hilarious.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

I mentored a student from Korea once and we had a few difficulties with language which resulted in some rather funny conversations and me sometimes not quite getting what he'd meant until hours after I'd seen him, haha!

Thanks for a great convo tonight guys. I really enjoyed it. And big thanks to Rosie, ruenhonx and MM for facilitating. Good night! Smiley Happy

Doorknocking in my local area and a guy answered his door with a monkey on his shoulder. My friend squealed, causing the monkey too run away and my friend running in the other direction, back to the car. To this day, that house is called 'Monkey House'.

Like who has a monkey in a small town, no where near a city!?! 

I've had so many great experiences too...

- Walking around a shopping centre for about an hour dressed as a tiger (shirt, pants, face paint)... I DID take my tail off though.

- Running around a tree for an hour with a 5 year old. That was interesting.

- Dressing up as ninjas with a group and pretending to fight with a set of pirates. 

- Annoying people eating at the Sydney Opera House.

- Trying to fit as many people as possible on a humongous beanbag. 

Sooooo sooooo sooooo many! Great memories!