cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Volunteer?

I agree @bluesandyellows it is an amazing way to meet people and it helps you find yourself and your purpose sometimes too Smiley Happy 

You get a free milkshake and hotdog when you give blood? Why did I NOT know this??!

What kind of volunteering options are out there? Where could you find opportunities?

There are opportunities everywhere if you look Smiley Happy
I recently applied to volunteer at the Melbourne Museum. Unfortunately I didn't get selected. But I'll try again next year. Smiley Happy

@Rhelna - LOVE that attitude! It's so important to remain positive if you don't get selected after applying for opportunities! There are always plenty more out there - maybe that one just wasn't meant to be at that time.

What kind of volunteering options are out there? Where could you find opportunities?

Uni is good place to find opportunities (through clubs, your specific degree program, mentoring etc), as are charities. And the Volunteering Australia website in your relevant state is a great place to check out too. I've found volunteer opportunities through all of these avenues.

@Rosie-RO  You get free milkshakes and hotdogs!? D:

We only get biscuits :'(

Haha Smiley Tongue

Hey guys! I'll be popping in and out tonight because I have cousins with me. How's everyone doing?

I've found that there are more opportunities than people realise. There are the traditional sorts of volunteer jobs, where you volunteer your time to physically promote or work for an organisation, but nowadays there are also a bunch of other ways to volunteer. Online (for example...ReachOut!) and over the phone (Lifeline) are two popular ones. It's also possible to volunteer your skills or services to help out organisations. These opportunities can be found anywhere, it just takes a bit of searching!

Have you done volunteer work? What type? Do any of your friends volunteer?

Like @dreamcatcher I have done more volunteering, unpaid gigs than paid work. I have volunteered at

• event volunteer for state government funded, profiled Festivals (children, arts & cultural)
  • customer service guide for state government institutions
  • charity events (i.e. massive book sales)

I think I'm the only one who volunteers this much (if at all) out of my social group. 

I have learnt some new skills, and came into contact with a wider cross section of people than I would otherwise from studying etc. But in all honesty, my volunteering experience has been a mixed bag. I have had felt the volunteering experience had been very one-sided. 

That said, I believe the best volunteering experiences are ones that are treated like proper jobs by both the hirer and the applicant (even if there's no pay). Everyone is truly engaged in helping each other and both has something (skill, resouce) to put on the table to make the experience fruitful. 

@Magga, welcome! Online definitely does provide some newer ideas for volunteering which is great. They can also be really handy if you are a bit short on time because they are more flexible!
@itsonlyher, welcome to RO! In what way do you feel it has been one sided? Definitely agree that it helps when everyone is so engaged!

@itsonlyher I agree completely, volunteering helps make new skills and refine past skills as well.