cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should we care about current affairs?

Why should we care about current affairs?
And I don't mean 'A Current Affair'/'Today Tonight'' type issues

Beyond the whirlwind of our daily lives of homework, assignments, relationships, jobs and family, the world is changing. For better or for worse. We may only notice the change when it directly impacts our lives or in glancing as we tune into the radio on the way to the station, but, it is happening and on a global scale. It is now that that the seeds of the future are being planted and grown.

Within the current state of the world, turmoil is rife but so too is progress. If we look towards the Syrian civil war which has displaced millions, killed thousands and drawn the international community to a furore over potential military intervention, the future is looking beak. But if we also consider the co-operations of the nations to settle over peaceful terms backed by the citizens of the globe, the world is indeed changing.

Closer to home, we have

the recent gagging of asylum seekers by the government;

the gaining momentum of the LGBT movement,

proposed reforms to higher education and a host of other happenings poised to change the world as we know it.

But given the grand scheme of things and the seemingly little impact that we could possibly have, why should we care?

As youths of the world, we are the next generation in position to shape the world for the better, as we become professionals, teachers, fathers, mothers and leaders. But, to incite change we must first give our attention to and understand the current state of affairs. However, this is not enough. It is from discussing these topics with other people that we truly begin to understand the complexities of issues; that the world is not just grey but a spectrum of different opinions and perspectives. In doing so, we will be able to shape the future of the world for the benefit of everyone.

So join us on Monday the 30th of September at 8PM AEST / 6, for a special Getting Real session as we discuss the going ons in the world around us.  We want your opinions!

Before the session, try and watch/read these so we can talk about them:

WATCH Suzuki says leaders who don't act on climate change are criminally neglligence

READ: Life beyond the HSC? (Or whatever it is called in your state)

READ: Transgender young woman crowned omeinvqueen in California

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Why should we care about current affairs?

Hey Everyone!  

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session on “Why should we care about current affairs” We'd love to know what current affairs means to you, experiences, and thoughts on this topic. Tonight's session will be facilitated by Michine, Sophie and myself.

As always, if anything in tonight’s session upsets you in any way there’s an emergency help tab in the top right hand corner which we urge you to use. Also keep in mind that we want to keep this discussion safe for everyone so try to stick to the community guidelines

So to start us off, lets head onto the first question for tonight.

Last  week there was an article in the SMH from a mother about reminding high schoolers that there is "Life beyond the HSC/Year 12". Do you agree with this? Do you think too much pressure gets put on students in year 12? How did you feel about it when you were in school?

Happy Monday fellow ROers! Ohhh that issue about pressure in year 12 is such a common issue of contention that comes up among the people who use reachout... I'm keen to hear some opinions!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey Guys Smiley Happy

Looking forward to hearing your thought's tonight!

I 100% agree with this looking back in hindsight, it's been a couple of years!

Did you think so at the time michine? I remember thinking that all the stress was valid at the time. And when I got my mark back and it wasn't what I hoped I thought my life was over...! But 12 months later, i didn't care at all and NEVER looked at that number again!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Last  week there was an article in the SMH from a mother about reminding high schoolers that there is "Life beyond the HSC/Year 12". Do you agree with this? Do you think too much pressure gets put on students in year 12? How did you feel about it when you were in school?

I agree with this statement.

There is way too much pressure in year 12, its pretty much the "make or break year ( well it was for me). After I finished year 12 it felt strange like I didn't have all that pressure anymore, at school everyone was always moody and fighting because we were all up at all hours of the night. Just to get the perfect year 12 score. To anyone who is doing year 12, its hard but don't put too much pressure on yourselves

after a year or so . you prob wont even remember or look at your score

Hi ashleemaree Smiley Happy

That's pretty much how I felt as well in year 12, that it would be the defining point in my life, that the mark I got would pretty much determine my future. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Most people really have no idea what they want to be when they finish year 12, which I think stems from not only not knowing enough about themselves but also from having no real experiences. So it can be hard to find the motivation to try hard when you don't know what you are aiming for so frustration just builds.

Welcome Asleemaree,

I agree that the pressure can be really tough, and that is great advice don't put to much pressure on yourself! Do the best you can do it's all anyone can ask for! Smiley Happy

Hi Sophie, Cheekyone and Michine,

I remember feeling like Year 12 was a huge deal. Seriously like my grade would be a life sentence. But as soon as I got to uni, I soon realised that it really matters so little in the long run, and that the world (and life) is so much more than a number on a piece of paper.