cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: f is for family: the fun, the fiascos and the feuds

@soph how awesome was camping when you were younger!

4. What do you do with your family for fun? Or what did your family do?

My family don't really go out too much together...we're all homebodies Smiley Happy. We spend most of our time in the lounge room watching T.V together and talking about just random stuff. 

Something I'll always treasure is that both my sister and I ended up living in Cambodia at the same time for about 9 months... we were in different places about 5 hours drive apart, but it was a really amazing experience to be there at the same time. I had already been there for over a year and she stayed for another 6 months after me but the time when we were both there was amazing.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@lea: yes!!! i loved it! I was always bummed that my Dad would choose non-beachy places like Jindabyne and Burrinjuck... But now I really appreciate it!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Everyone's family seems so fun Smiley Happy.

But family isn't fun all the time. Which leads us to the next question. 

Have you ever had disagreements with a family member? Why do you think this happened?

Yes, massively! I think it comes down to not listening to each other, being really head strong and "i am right", not being empathetic to the other person, being stuck in your ways.... There was definitely more problems when I was a teenager and I thought I knew everything and my mum couldn't deal with the fact that i was changing in ways she didn't expect... (eg purple hair and a tongue piercing)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I have had plenty of disagreements.... mainly over silly things like fighting for the tv, or my brother is annoying me. I remember fighting with my mum when I was a teenager - we disagreed on everything (probably part of growing up). I look back and think it was silly. Most disagreements are probably that pointless - because I am even having trouble recalling some now.

I have also witnessed other family members have numerous disagreements. It is especially memorable when disputes occur after a love one passes away. Unfortunately sentimental items or assets seem to cause issues for families - or the big decisions that need to be made. I have seen this happen in my family.

Highlighted

Definitely. Especially when I was a bit younger. I'd always pick fights with my parents over little things. As I've gotten older (and hopefully more mature) I don't really fight too much with my family. It's more little annoying things that get me a bit frustrated. But that comes with living with people in such a small, enclosed space.

I think you get away with more with your family. You can fight with them because you know they're going to support you no matter what ...they're kind of stuck with you Smiley Happy

In light of what we have been discussing...

7. They say we can choose our friends but not our family. What do you think this means?

What are the great things about a family unit or environment? Or yours in particular?

- They know about your history, so you're not going to scare them off with stories of what you were like or how your mother is.
- They will always feel a bond with you. Meaning they have more loyalty towards you and want to help you.
- They're people you are able to turn to. No one will ever question you're going to them in a time of crisis.
- They should be a place of safety. So if you're broke/homeless you can return there, without worrying about how you're going to contribute financially immediately.
- They provide love/hugs/food.