cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: f is for family: the fun, the fiascos and the feuds

7. They say we can choose our friends but not our family. What do you think this means?

Well, I suppose that sometimes family members might not be the people that you choose but you are stuck with them! And that you are not alone if you don't get along with at least someone in your family... It's pretty normal... And just because you are blood relations, doesn't mean you have to stick it out with them if they have a negative impact on your mental health or wellbeing...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good points Birdeye...it is nice to have people you don't have to explain your quirks too... coz they know your history and all the ins and outs!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

7. They say we can choose our friends but not our family. What do you think this means?

I think family are people your stuck with. You can't choose them. They may be totally different to you but they will always be your family.

Friends on the other hand can be more fluid. You choose your friends based on how well you get along with them and the ties that bind you, I believe, aren't as strong. However, I think long term friendships do become more like family and the more years you spend together the stronger the ties are.

They say we can choose our friends but not our family. What do you think this means?

I see it as meaning that our family may provide us with enough grief and feuds that we're always going to have a tie to, so you may as well learn from them and pick the friends that you want, the friends that make you happy.

@Birdeye - Exactly!

I think that saying is alittle bit like 'blood is thicker than water.'

In times of need or crisis, even with important happy occasions we generally place importance on our family over other people. We are likely to choose our family over other things.

I guess the saying of we cant choose our family - means we were somehow placed with these people in our lives. Whether biologically or through decisions. Someone else sometimes made the decision to make us part of a family....  

@Birdeye wrote:

pick the friends that you want, the friends that make you happy.

YES!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Seems like we all have very similar thoughts in regards to family vs friends. 

Time for the next question. 

How does your family impact on your life generally? (e.g. living arrangements, relationships, work, positives, negatives).

overall I would say my family has a positive impact on my life - something I do not take for granted. I know this isnt the case for everyone.

My family provides a safe and secure living arrangement for me. Whether I am living at home or not - I know I will always be safe with the help of my family. Emotionally I have a very strongly connected and supportive family, which is really helpful. My family has raised me in ways that have and will continue to impact on me for the rest of my life. I am the person I am because of my family.

Can i just add as a side note, how lovely does Harrison's family seem on The Voice? I love his little bro!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com