cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: moving away from home

What can you do if you run into trouble with a bad housemate, dodgy landlord or a messy house that fails an inspection?

I actually have some recent experience with this, I had to see our local tenancy advocacy service, every city/town should have a service that helps advocate for tenants. They helped me to send a "letter of breach of agreement" which effectively broke my contract with my landlord as they had not done the right thing (long story). 

I learned a lot about my rights as a tenant, and it turns out tenants have heaps of rights and a tenant advocate can pretty much take over for all the legal stuff if you need. It took a lot of the stress out of the situation for me Smiley Happy

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

No clue...
Highlighted

Wow this is such great info! Note to self: Refer back to ReachOut when moving out.
Highlighted

What can you do if you run into trouble with a bad housemate, dodgy landlord or a messy house that fails an inspection?

Definitely look up your local tenant's union and do it sonner rather than later, because if you need some advice that goes beyond what's in their info packs or online you'll probably have to make an appointment and wait a bit to get a phone call with em. I think another important thing to do with landlords in particular is to get things in writing and check that what they are trying to do is legal, so for example if you are on a lease, you generally actually have to be taken through a tribunal hearing before you can be kicked out. They can't just say "you made a mess, so now you're being evicted" If you're not on a lease, you can be kicked out a bit easier but you still have lots of rights!

I think bad housemates happen a lot of the time because people haven't sat down and established expectations. So if you can all agree that not paying the rent is a pretty big deal and something that has to be sorted out ASAP (or maybe that everyone should pay a week or two in advance etc) Or how clean the house needs to be for everyone to be happy. Or even something random like whether Star wars or Star trek is better then that's going to save a lot of hardship later if something goes wrong, because you can say "we agreed that this wouldn't happen"

With all that being said, it's also important to be fair and reasonable, people make mistakes, and things happen like losing jobs etc, you can't be perfect all the time, and some people are strang and think Star Trek is better!

Highlighted

@j95 "come dine with me" sounds amazing, what a great idea. That would be a good way to get to know your housemates.

- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

@j95 i want to try it! It sounds like all of my favourite things at once!

Highlighted

We've already hashed out a lot of the technical, mundane and legal stuff about moving out, which is excellent! But what about when it doesn't quite work out?

Moving back home, who do you go to for help if things aren’t working out and you need a break?

Highlighted

Moving back home, who do you go to for help if things aren’t working out and you need a break?

It can be pretty hard admitting that things aren't going well. I know personally after I moved out I was keen to make sure that everyone i was an independant and responsible adult who could do all the adult things, but occasionally, well more like nearly every day when i first moved out I would go to my parents for dinner. I haven't had to go back home yet but I know that is an option if I needed it, Also i know most people wouldn't mind letting my pull up a bit of carpet and staying in their lounge room for a while. 

- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

I can imagine sometimes it can get really tough living away from your family and so moving back when that happens might not be the best option right away. I think it would be really cool if you could see if you can get some support and maybe talk to your family and friends about what's going on. If it's okay with your family, you might want to move back in for a while till you can get back up on your feet. But I think communication would be key in a situation like that. You want to be clear about what's going on for you, what you expect to happen, and what you're actually going to do help you get through what's happening- and you don't have to do it on your own. 

Highlighted

I guess mates or fam.