cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: moving away from home

There are lots of options out there! Some of em are tougher than others so it depends on how bad things are at home.

As a temporary solution it's amazing how helpful good friends can be if you're not in a good space at home, see if you can have a break of a few days by staying at a mates.

Another thing you can do is talk to someone from a community service organisation. Who depends on where you live, so i feel like it's almost worth asking someone like me at RO about the specific issues you're dealing with. But you can also have a look here for some people who might be able to either help your housemates (or family) deal with the tough times (like financial hardship) that you might be dealing with or help you get out of there if you don't feel safe. There's also great services like 1800 RESPECT if you don't feel safe and they are so amazingly supportive and will take your situation seriously while also listening and respecting what you have to say about what you need.

Highlighted

Moving back home, who do you go to for help if things aren’t working out and you need a break?

It's important when you move out to identify the support networks you may need to use. Obviously for a lot of people, family is good, if you've moved out and things aren't going great usually family is pretty ok with you coming back for a little bit. Or just friends, I know I've had my fair share of crashing on friends couches or airbeds in the middle of their loungeroom floor when things aren't going great.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

@RecoveryandHope I never thought about the psychological aspect of not wanting to appear like you were 'failing' at moving out, but it must be difficult overcoming that when you tried so much to be responsible and independent

It also seems like it's important to keep supports around you once you move out, so that if things don't quite work out you have someone to help you out

Highlighted

Yep 1800 RESPECT is pretty good I agree
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

A really important question:

What advice would you give to someone who is moving out in difficult or urgent circumstances?

Highlighted

What advice would you give to someone who is moving out in difficult or urgent circumstances?

My advice would be to first and foremost make sure you are safe. If you feel unsafe at any given moment and you feel like you may be in danger of getting hurt call 000, or go to someone/somewhere you trust and know is safe. But otherwise I think it's real important to make a plan B. And then a plan C. And if you can, also a plan D. You never know what's going to happen and so the more options you have, the less likely you're going to be overwhelmed with not knowing what to do. 

ALSO, let us know here at ReachOut. We'll support you through whatever's going on, and try and direct you to some appropriate support Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Ask for help, there are so many people out there who are more than happy to provide you with spare furniture especially, I have filled up a whole house with just the generosity of people who had stuff sitting around in their garage from one post on facebook asking for help. There are many foodbank charity services that will make sure you don't starve if you get in a tight spot and you can even get help with your rent and bills if it is all getting a bit too much. I

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

I think my response to the last question definitely applies to this one too. If you are not safe, call 1800 RESPECT, if you are safe, but your family or other people are going through a tough time and that's what is making the move important then talk to your local community organisations about what sort of support you can get either to make those circumstances less difficult OR to get some support to get out of there safely and without it being any tougher than it's got to be. If you're reading this sometime in the future, make a post here and we can help you work out what organisation is the best option for your situation (there's HEAPS of variation depending on where you live and what's going on)

Highlighted

Going off the experiences of my friends, it's amazing how many resources and people you can get in touch with through social media and the internet in general. There are Facebook groups and websites dedicated to sharing furniture or compiling lists of local foodbanks. Also if you're at university you can ask your student union - I know at some uni's there are welfare departments with spare clothes, crockery, furniture, etc. which you can just take when you need it

Highlighted

Such good answers here guys!

I don't though.