cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: moving away from home

@safari93 I didn't even think about that- univeristies having welfare departments! That's pretty cool Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted

@OceanMaster1207 the uni I went to had one, and even if the union doesn't they usually have lists of local resources for people who need to urgently find a place to stay, among other things

Highlighted

Hey @FootyFan26

Thanks for sticking with us, if you haven't looked into any of this stuff before it can be a big learning experience. I hope you are getting something out of the chat Smiley Happy

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

One quick last question! 

What's the first step you can take towards moving out, or what was the first step you took?

Highlighted

What advice would you give to someone who is moving out in difficult or urgent circumstances?

I have a lot to say on this one. I guess I didn't really have a choice when it came to moving out and organisations and departments that were supposed to help me, didn't. But I second what everyone else has said about the power of social media... if you go looking there are so many Facebook groups of you are looking for housemates or somewhere to live. I found the op shop, garage sales and markets to be pretty good too, I got a lot of second hand furniture from them and even my first car for less than $500 Smiley Tongue

There are also emergency accomodation places in every city, they sometimes have a wait but if you are super super desperate might be able to help you straight away. 

And of course as mentioned 1800 RESPECT if your reason for leaving is violence related

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

I think I would just grab a mate or two who might wanna be a roomies and then find a place in a reasonable location whose rent wasn't too expensive.

Highlighted

@j95 yeah they're pretty good tips on easy spending. Wow less then $500?! Cheering! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted

What's the first step you can take towards moving out, or what was the first step you took?

Well for me, the first time i moved out, I just kind of did it, my friend had a spare room in his house, so I looked at how much i was making a week (shelf packer at woolies!) and i decided i could do it! I didn't know anything about my rights and could just about boil an egg. But it was a great time anyway and i had a heap of fun even if i ran out of money pretty quickly and learned a lot of lessons about saving the hard way Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

The first step I took was, well when I first moved out it was a decision made after meeting a really nice person at the farmers market who had a room to rent, the next day I was moving everything I owned into her house ! I guess it was a risky thing to do now I look back on it, but i made some great friends and pretty much gained another family.. that I then had to move out from again Smiley Happy

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon
Highlighted

Hmm I shall give you all a couple more minutes to write a resppnse to our last sneaky question, but I'm also going to start wrapping up! So goodnight everyone! Thank you so much for popping in to chat! Really enjoyed it !