cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: moving away from home

Yeah thanks so much everyone for tuning in! Tonight's GR was awesome, I actually learnt so much. Y'all are amazing Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Goodnight!

@OceanMaster1207 yeah it was a lemon, I spent $1000 on fixing it up eventually, which was so not worth it, I took it to the wreckers and they gave me $50 for it. It was older than me!

What's the first step you can take towards moving out, or what was the first step you took?

Well... good news for a start, RO is working on my laptop again, no more server issues. 

One of the first steps I took was living out of my car... which was pretty awful, actually horrible and I'm so thankful I don't have to do that anymore. Then I was staying at an older mates place, he had his own place but he had 3 other housemates so no space for me. After sleeping on a spare matress in their dining room, I eventually found my own place using a facebook group. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks for coming out everyone!! This has been a very educational discussion for me Smiley Very Happy

It was great, thanks everyone!

@j95 ahhh that's a bit of a bummer about your car! And it's awesome that you eventually found a place where you feel comfortable living Smiley Happy

Whoa that's pretty tough @j95 ! I am glad you have found a nice place now full of amazing Kmart stuff Smiley Happy

Thanks guys. Have a good one.

yeah my house is pretty sick thanks to kmart @Ben-RO

Gnite @FootyFan26! Night @j95 Thanks for coming!

Summary

Thanks to everyone who joined in with our discussion tonight, we shared some great advice, personal experience and ideas about moving away from home, here is the summary.

Good times to move out?

It’s up to the individual and their circumstances, when you feel ready, If you have enough money, if you know the responsibilities of moving out, we agreed that it’s a good time when you are ready. It was also mentioned that just having a go can sometimes work out well, and there will always be a way to go back and re-assess.

What are some things that make life easier to move out for the first time?

Being well informed, advice from people who have already moved out, all the ways to cook noodles, supportive friends and family (this was a popular and important one), Planning properly e.g. how to get to work/uni, knowing how you are going to pay rent, money money money (working out a budget), help moving things, being able to tolerate your housemates, knowing where you are moving to (is everything you need close by? How are you going to get there?).

Have you moved out already? What was one thing you wish you could tell your past self? If you haven’t moved out, what’s the biggest thing you’re worried about when the time comes?

Having enough money, being isolated, and not being able to look after your family (distance), being careful with the people you move in with, caring for your family, getting a job.

What are you looking forward to the most about moving out or what do you like doing if you have already moved out?

FREEDOM, becoming a master chef, making cakes at 3 am, interior decorating with the help of Kmart, going out, joining a gym, playing “come dine with us” (ask @j95 for more details), Sunday lunches, having your own garden.

How much do you know about your rights as a “renter”? E.g who is responsible when the toilet breaks and your skills at plunging are not as you expected?

The landlord is responsible to fix general wear and tear, there are tenancy advocates and unions who can help you know your rights each state and territory will have one.

What can you do if you run into trouble with a bad housemate, dodgy landlord or a messy house that fails an inspection?

Be upfront, honest and respectful with them, see your local tenancy advocate service, make sure you get things in writing and check that everything is legal before moving in, sit down and establish some rules/expectations before moving in with people.

Moving back home, who do you go to for help if things aren’t working out and you need a break?

Your parents/family, mates, https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/service-finder, https://www.1800respect.org.au/, supportive people.

What advice would you give to someone who is moving out in difficult or urgent circumstances?

Make sure you are safe, call 000 if you are in danger, go to someone you trust, make lots of backup plans, ask for some support and advice here on RO, ask for help on social media and local charity organizations, https://www.1800respect.org.au/, University student welfare departments, go to op shops garage sales and markets, utilize emergency accommodation (there is one in every city)

What's the first step you can take towards moving out, or what was the first step you took?

Grab a mate and find a place that’s affordable, just do it! Living out of your car (can be an awful experience) sleep on a mattress in mates house, researching online e.g facebook groups.

There we have it some useful advice and experiences on moving out, thanks again for everyone that joined in. So what are you waiting for? Prep your flock of geese, fuel up your flying machine, eat all the noodles and become the most independent of all the adults.

If you banish the dragons, you banish the heroes
- Andrew Solomon