cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[CHAT] Drink Drank Drunk

Lets be real for a second here, Australia has a bit of a drinking problem. If you walk through any major city late at night, you'll see quite a few people enjoying themselves in pubs, night clubs and music venues. Interestingly the amount you are allowed to drink under what's called RSA law is a LOT more than what's considered bad for you by pretty much every doctor ever.  

I've definitely got a few mates who post stuff like this on their Facey and they're only half joking. 

images (10).jpg

With that being said, a person has a right to choose even if it's not a choice anyone else thinks is actually a good idea. So instead of talking about problems with drinking, lets talk about making a choice rather than letting Australian drinking culture decide for you. 

Tonight we're here to talk about decisions. If you choose to drink. What's okay and what's not okay? How do you know and what can you do if things go pear-shapped? 

Join us from 8pm AEST tonight to talk about all things Alcohol! 

Re: [CHAT] Drink Drank Drunk

Hey everyone! Welcome to our GR session for the night! 

Remember guidelines and take a breather if you need to and make a post in our threads or talk to someone who can help Smiley Happy 

And with that! Here's our first question! 

Would you/have you drunk alcohol? What do you like about it/ What don’t you like about it?

Hi everyone! Very interesting topic.

Would you/have you drunk alcohol? What do you like about it/ What don’t you like about it?

Ahh alcohol. I think drinking alcohol has been a big part of bringing friends together in Australian culture (a little strange when you think about it). I guess it's because it makes you feel relaxed around other people you may not feel relaxed around otherwise. I've had some great nights out drinking, and I have very quickly learned not too drink so much that it's going to make me sick! NOT FUN Smiley Tongue

What a great topic! Really important and also relevant for this age group!

Yes, I started drinking around 14 and, although I enjoy it, I don't drink often.  I really enjoy how confident I feel, and feeling less consciencious and embarrassed.  I don't like how it makes my body feel the next day, and, because of how damaging it can be to individuals, families, and communities, I really don't like its core place in our culture!  Moderation is the key word!

@OceanMaster1207 great point, it definitely can bring people together! Ironically it can also push them apart!

Hey erryone

I have and I like that it can help me in social situations. I certainly don't rely on it, but it does help me talk to people and be more social, especially in times that even though I want to go to the party or event, I don't know anyone. If I go to an event and I don't know many people very well, it can be a bit awks, so drinking helps with that. 

I don't like how damaging it can be, and how drinking can get so out of hand so quickly and cause so many problems, like violence or even that people drink to the point that they can't look after themselves, don't know what they are doing and are a danger to themselves or others. I don't like the pressure involved either, like maybe I don't want to drink or I just want a couple, why is that a bad thing?

I'm not sure if I would. I used to have a sip as a kid but I don't remember what it tastes like. From my experience I don't like it because people use it as a coping mechanism... and then get super drunk and say stupid shit that they don't remember.

Yep, drunk quite a bit and have worked in the hospitality industry too! I like some of the types of alcohol and their flavour, i like the effect it has on my brain (in moderation) and i like making alcohol-  I brew beer Smiley Happy

I don't like what it can do to people, i think it can be pretty adictive and it can also make you do things you might regret. Frankly it's just a fact that people can hurt themselves or other because of the effect alcohol has had on their judgement or reaction time and i think that's pretty sad Smiley Sad 

Amen @j95! (also, great to have you here as usual!) I definitely am with you on that last point - I have a group of mates who can drink like fish, and expect me to keep up with them, which I can't! It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on whats a reasonable amount and looking after yourself?

@j95could you please choose a question from the list and ask it Smiley Happy

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 169 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors