cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[CHAT] Free Choice GR

Hey everyone! Sorry this is so late, we're still trying to get out of holiday mode Smiley Tongue 

This GR is going to be a free choice, we had one a few months ago so we're doing another one tonight. Basically, we'll be talking about anything really, within the guidelines of course. The idea is to keep things fun and light Smiley Happy

So join us tonight at 7:30pm AEDT (That's NSW/VIC time) for a nice, chill night Smiley Happy

Join us on Monday 19th for a chat on aromanticism and asexuality!

Re: [CHAT] Free Choice GR

Free choice time Smiley Happy 

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here.

If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

@Brendos94@LeoTheLion@j95@redhead@Erin-ROSmiley Happy If you're looking for a bit of chill out time Smiley Happy

First question... do you read comic books?

I'm currently catching up on a bunch of comics from new 52 all the way on to the most recent Rebirth comics (DC Smiley Wink)

I haven't read any comic books but I feel like I've watched a lot of comic book movies, which I like Smiley Happy

Hey @N1ghtW1ng

hmm...not really? I've read manga for a fair while, but comics just never quite caught on with me. Certainly not the mainstream/weekly serial DC/Marvel series anyway. I did read Fables and Locke & Key a couple years ago though, and I was seriously impressed at the quality of the writing- particularly with Fables. 10/10 recommend reading at least the main Fables series by Bill Willingham, though I will say that it really isn't a series for the faint-hearted. It's great, but good god does it get dark at times.

Related image

Do you have a favourite @Erin-RO?

That looks interesting @Asche, what's it about?

Ohhh my favourite might be Wonderwoman or Deadpool or the last Thor movie Smiley Very Happy

Hi, don't really know much about comic books 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

All good movies @Erin-RO Smiley Very Happy

What's your favourite genre of books and movies @j95?

Hm...it's kind of hard to describe without going into spoiler territory. It's a fractured fairy tale series - kind of like Shrek, or Once Upon a Time. But tonally, they're very different. Basically, if Shrek was a Disney fairy tale, Fables would be the Brothers Grimm version...with much better writing and fewer fart jokes.

The setting is basically this - all the fairy tales you know and love have been forced out of their ancestral homelands and kingdoms, and into our world by the mysterious "Adversary", and they're basically all war refugees living in a secret bit of New York that they keep under wraps from our Muggle eyes using what little magic powers they have. They've been around for 200 years, so the community is fairly well-established, but resources are still taut and strained, so Cinderella makes a living selling shoes (because of course she does), the Frog Prince is a janitor, and all of the animal fables have to live on a farm where they won't get spotted speaking English, etc.

They're all old characters, but the stories they play out in Fables are new, because they're really about this new community and the challenges that arise when you bring together fairy tale characters who have no business meeting one another, or have been enemies for hundreds of years (e.g. the Big Bad Wolf and Three Little Pigs), but have been forced to live side by side out of necessity.

They also have a bunch of characters from lesser-known popular literatures as well - Reynard the Fox is in there, as is Mowgli from Jungle Book, and even more esoteric ones like Little Boy Blue and King Cole, which helps to keep the story fresh.

Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 1 member 191 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors