cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I can, I think i can, I think I can I...

All of us have goals and are working towards achieving them. Some of these goals may be big like wanting to be a world-class entrepreneur and some may just be wanting to fix our study habits. For most of us, some of those goals were realised and some weren't. What stopped us from achieving those goals were probably a combination of extraneous circumstances and internal faults. While we can't control those external factors, we can change the ways we view and approach our goals.

For most of us, a big part of what is stopping us from achieving our goals is the way we set and approach them.

For example, for someone wanting to be a world-class entrepreneur, it isn’t enough for him or her to simply envision the idea. Thoughtful planning and having clear steps towards achieving that goal will greatly benefit that person and that goal will not become just another pipe dream. Most of us have had times where we wanted to achieve a goal but did not set our goals in a clear and proper manner. However, we can change that by identifying methods to set up our goals so we are not overwhelmed by the whole process. 

If you want to know more about proper goal-setting and its benefits or if you have your own ideas regarding the topic, then come join our Getting Real discussion on Goal-Setting this Monday 8pm AEST on the ReachOut forums!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Re: I think I can, I think i can, I think I can I...

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session! I'm Magga, and with me tonight are Nathan and Rosie. Tonight, we'll be talking about goal setting – something that I'm sure many of us struggle with at times!

Setting realistic goals can be difficult (and so can following them) but the end results are very rewarding, and often the more effort you put into setting goals, the better you'll become at doing it. Of course, it's easy to say this – it's another thing to know and make use of the many different techniques that 'successful people' utilise when achieving their goals. We hope to cover all this and more tonight!

To begin with, our first question: Do you have any personal short- or long-term goals? If so, what plans have you made to achieve them?

Good evening all! 

Do you have any personal short- or long-term goals? If so, what plans have you made to achieve them?

My current biggest goal is to get a job. Which I haven't made much progess in other than writing up my resume. I think my longer-term goals would be to graduate from uni, travel, and meet someone I want to spend the rest of my life with. 

@graphiqual (cool username by the way) - very big goals! Good luck with getting a job. Do you have any other plans for achieving this? Maybe looking online, or handing in resumes to places?

Hey guys. Hopefully my internet stays alive this week (unlike last week.... fail). I hope that you all had a lovely day!! Smiley Happy

Do you have any personal short- or long-term goals? If so, what plans have you made to achieve them?

I reeeeaaaally want to get some sort of study timetable going... I'm aiming for 10 hours of study (per week) for each unit. I am studying (that alone is an achievement because nothing unmotivated me more than the mere thought of study). So far, so good.... Except it's terribly unorganized. So that's something I'd like to work towards. (I feel like there is going to be a lot of goals relating to study)

Also I have a goal to start going to the gym and possibly get another job (but I have to sort out my social and study life before I can even THINK about any of that)

I do have a lot of quite personal goals, but they're all like long term things; things like coming to terms with events that have happened, etc, etc.

Hey dreamcatcher! Nice work on getting into it early - in the past I often left things way too late, it took a while to get used to a study routine (and even now, I need to get used to it again...)

Personal goals are just as important, of course. Sometimes one problem can affect the other - try not to let this happen if you can! Smiley Happy

@magga - Thanks! Yeah, I've looked online and got some ideas for places I want to apply for. I'm planning to just go out one day and give out my resume to pretty much everywhere lol

Nice work! I remember going out for my first job, just handing out resumes...it was pretty scary! But I'm sure you'll do great, stay confident Smiley Happy

So now we've covered a few personal goals, let's look at goal setting in a general sense...

What is goal setting, and in what ways can we go about setting goals?

I think goal setting is having an explicit outcome one wants to reach as well as having detailed steps as to how one can achieve it.