Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:08 PM

What are the little things for you?

It depends on how things are going for me, at the moment the little wins I am celebrating are things like leaving the house to go to the gym or shopping.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:11 PM

It is really interesting that in all of our answers we each start of saying that it depends on our base state of being in the point in time.

Shows how much we might need to be conscious of ourselves and what little things we should be celebrating to help ourselves along!

What are some of the things we might celebrate when we are doing well? I know I can forget to do it when I am on a good mental health streak...
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:15 PM

That is a very excellent couple of insights @ClCl

How many of us feel rough when we aren't progressing towards a bigger goal and then take a step back and think about the progress we've made?

safari93
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:02 PM

Welcome everyone! Shoutout to @ClCl and @Ben-RO as well for co-moderating this session. So, let's get going!!

ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:06 PM

Depends on where I am at motivation wise. But typically for me, my little things to celebrate are:

• doing a load of washing
  • making an appointment
  • taking the bins out
  • doing the dishes
  • writing a draft and starting things before the last minute
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:07 PM

Oh hey @j95 sup?

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:05 PM

Hey @safari93 @ClCl good to see you two, too! 

The little wins are the small sneaky good things that you might not even notice happening, especially if there's other really important stuff happening at the same time-good or bad. So it could be something like, getting a good nights sleep, or having a particularly tasty coffee, or doing something i was struggling with just a little bit better than i did yesterday (even if I'm not perfect!)

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:10 PM

Hey @ryvb3 !

ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:01 PM

Good evening! @safari93and I (and the dedicated @Ben-RO) are really looking forward to discussing Celebrating the Little Things - Practising Self-Love tonight with you all 🙂

Please keep in mind our community guidelines for the duration of the discussion.

If for any reason you feel distressed or need to talk to someone please do no hesitate to contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, KHL on 1800 55 1800 (or via chat service) or beyondblue on 1300 22 4636 (or via chat).

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:05 PM

hey!
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:07 PM

Hey @j95! Thanks so much for joining us 😄 So great to have you
ryvb3
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:13 PM

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

Some little things that make me happy are:

• the smell of fresh clothes
  • sharing a smile with a stranger
  • finding a solution to a problem
  • tidying up a small area of a room 
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:16 PM

Ahhh i definitely understand the fresh clothes feeling! @ryvb3 Especially when they've been in the sun for a bit, they should work out how to bottle that smell!

ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:19 PM

Our next question to get you thinking...

Are you drawn to big goals or small wins? Why do you think that is?

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:24 PM

Are you drawn to big goals or small wins? Why do you think that is?

I am 100% drawn to big goals and big achievements, it's kind of good and kind of bad. I think it's because I like the idea of being really really awesome and all the nice things that happen when you achieve something big. The reason that's a bit bad is because if I'm not careful i could miss out on all the awesome things that happen along the journey towards a big goal. AND on top of that, if I'm not careful I might be a bit too upset if i fail to hit the big goal and not realise that awesome things will still happen anyway! 

ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:23 PM

Ive always been the terribly unkind person to myself who never celebrates anything, big or small. I used to just tell myself they are things I should be able to do so there was no reason to acknowledge when I had.

More recently though Ive made a conscious effort to try to notice both. Along the way I try to focus on all the small wins, because Im daunted by big goals. Then, once Ive gotten to the end I make myself look back and feel proud because all those little things made up a big goal
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:22 PM

I celebrate the big things and don't pay attention to the smaller things, which isn't great because then when i don't have something big to celebrate I start to feel a bit bad about myself
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:19 PM

if only they made a spray that smells like the clothes when they come off the line
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:20 PM

I would spray it over my dirty basket of clothes and pretend i am actually organised @j95
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:22 PM

good idea @Ben-RO
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:20 PM

I feel like air-fresheners try but never quite manage it... @j95 @Ben-RO

ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 18-04-2016 8:15 PM

Ah yes @ryvb3! The smell of fresh clothes is the great reinforcer for me to do washing! So is the reward of having clean underwear easy to find the next morning