cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
stonepixie
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:40 PM

Now that we have discussed barriers, if we were to have a night like this, what techniques could you use to feel well rested?

Who needs sleep?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:48 PM

if we were to have a night like this, what techniques could you use to feel well rested?

I'm pretty well restes regardless of sleep so I'm taking educated guesses on most of these.

• Caffeine
  • I personally get more energy from exercise, big footy match for example
  • Go for a walk or get a drink and try again
  • Try to regulate temperature
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:51 PM

Why do you suggest caffeine @FootyFan26? Do you mean during the night or the next day?
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:53 PM

Next day! 😄

I interpreted it as being for the next day in most of my answers!
stonepixie
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:52 PM

Interesting @ClCl that you say that. But I guess I am coming from a chronic insomniacs point of view and you are treating this as a one off thing. Would that be correct?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:46 PM

if we were to have a night like this, what techniques could you use to feel well rested?

Hmm. That's not a very good night! If it happened more than two or three times I'd actually go see a doctor about it i reckon. I think it would be worth getting up in a situation like that and making the place a bit more sleep hygenic! Maybe some fresh sheets, check for those sneaky little lights, perhaps play some white noise or something like RainyMood. Or the cool app that @j95 uses that i have completely forgotten the name of!

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:50 PM

@Ben-RO relax melodies - sleep sounds, where you pick different soothing sounds like rain, flowing rivers, birds and you layer them if you like. My favourite is Urban Rain or City with heavy rain added on top.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:52 PM

Just installed it @j95! Will give it a whirl tonight!

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:57 PM

Some people have told me that by listening to rain at night I'm doing myself harm because I'm developing a dependency or something, but that's not true and anyway I'd rather that than not being able to sleep so... and I also use it when I'm feeling a bit stressed out and need some chill out time. It might not work for some but it works for me and I can get to sleep without it, but i sleep better and can calm down quicker with it.
stonepixie
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:00 PM

Continuing with the theme of not having good sleep hygiene,

What are some bad habits you can get into?

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:07 PM

If we were to have a night like this, what techniques could you use to feel well rested?

I'm not sure about this one, because the only time I've experienced that is while on a plane. But my guess would be to get up and go do something for awhile like maybe read in another room, do a meditation/breathing thing, or one thing that I do use is trying to count backwards from 500 without subvocalising the numbers. 

What are some bad habits you can get into?

Using energy drinks to stay awake late for assignments/study for multiple nights in a row.

Gaming til silly o'clock.

Putting off all your chores til before bed, then procrastinating about it so by the time you've done your chores it's way past the time you should've gone to bed.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:11 PM

One bad habit that I have is to use my bed for watching movies during the day and I often study in bed. Opps 😕

Ignoring my alarm is also a bad one. I need a few alarms set at 2 minute intervals to actually wake up in the morning.

When my naps turn into a mini sleep.

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:12 PM

I set about 7 alarms on my phone all a few minutes apart which is really really annoying when I press snooze for all of them and it just wont turn off because the minute I press snooze another one goes off!
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:08 PM

studying in bed/just before bed time is also bad!
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:15 PM

@Bay52VU for some reason "silly o'clock" makes me lol I am using this next time someone asks me the time when it's super late  or super early 😛

ryvb3
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:12 PM

@j95 I agree! Cramming before you go to sleep is not good. It just makes my mind run crazy with all that info.
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:14 PM

I have a question... How long is a nap compared to a mini sleep?
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:16 PM

naps are supposed to only be 20 minutes long I believe @FootyFan26
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:18 PM

I find naps really uncertain and that's why I don't take them, like will I wake up in 20 minutes or 3 hours??? Who knows. and I also just don't have time. Although I have once taken a nap during lunch break at TAFE, that was uncomfortable and not really worth it
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:18 PM

@ClCl Shit, i thought they were like an hour or two. Thanks.

I don't think I've taken a nap in years so I wouldn't have a clue.
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:17 PM

Now that we have identified some of the bad habits...

6. What are some strategies for resolving these?

ryvb3
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:28 PM

6. What are some strategies for resolving these bad habits?

Have a regular and specific time to go to bed so then you will not be staying up at night doing whatever. I hear some people may have a bed time routine where they disnegage from elctronic devices one hour before they sleep. And then they do things like read, write in their journal or plan for the following day.

For people who have multiple alarms or use the snooze button, maybe you could try to have one alarm set 5 minutes earlier. And then when it rings, avoid pressing the snooze button. Instead rest your head on the pillow and think about the first thing you need to do after you get out of bed. (It's what I do, but it might not work for some if you are feeling really tired and end up falling back asleep!)

Another idea is to put your alarm far away from your bed, so you have to get up out of bed to actually stop that annoying sound.  

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:35 PM

@ryvb3

That's such a good routine you have going on there! I shall try it 🙂

Although i also want this alarm clock that has wheels, when it goes off, it will roll away on it's wheels and try and hide under your bed, so you have to catch it to wake up! hehe.

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:45 PM

What is the impact of good sleep hygiene?

• Better mood
  • Improved focus
  • Stay awake longer
  • Better MH
  • More energy

I should have been asleep 2 hours ago but instead I'm staying up and talking about sleep!

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:43 PM

7. What is the impact of good sleep hygiene?

Well hopefully you sleep better! 😛

And that in turn will definitely improve your mental health. You'll solve problems quicker, your body will heal faster and while you won't quite have super powers you'll be slightly closer to  having Wolverine like super powers.

c0aa0e8013abb64d3128abc4663821a4.jpg