j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:43 PM

Hahahaha @lanejane I love it
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:48 PM

Some people aren’t really big fans of optimism, saying that it’s an unrealistic way of looking at life. What do you think about this idea? Why do you think that is?

• They are right, life isn't always positive as most of us would know
  • Though things aren't always negative either
  • It would help them 'prepare for the worst' instead of being hit hard by the unexpected event

So I think I'm kinda on their side there.

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:50 PM

@FootyFan26 hm hm hmm. true! not everything in life is always positive or happy! if it was... how would you even know what positive was?

lanejane

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:53 PM

i think sometimes being pessimistic can make you miserable @Sveto, but it's good to have a balance.

sometimes if youre not expecting something good to happen and it does, it can also be a really sweet surprise!

you're not a bad person @FootyFan26 - i think at times we're all pesimists! it's totally normal 🙂

lanejane

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:57 PM

@FootyFan26 you're definitely not a bad person!!! Everyone is different, and thats what makes us special... We can all have varying opinions, it makes us unique and keeps things interesting! haha

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:42 PM

BUT....

4. Some people aren't really big fans of optimism, saying that it’s an unrealistic way of looking at life. What do you think about this idea? Why do you think that is?

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:47 PM

As i said before, life is neither positive nor negative. Having positive though feels good and makes you a better human being. Negative thoughts about "bad things" or "bad people" do nothing else but making you miserable.

FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:00 PM

@Sveto wrote:

Having positive though feels good and makes you a better human being. Negative thoughts about "bad things" or "bad people" do nothing else but making you miserable.

I don't feel like I'm miserable all the time.  I also feel that this post is saying that I'm not as good a person as everyone else here who are mostly optimistic.  I'm a pretty legit, down to earth person who mainly gives it to you straight.

Negative thoughts give you a chance to look at things from a different perspective.  I feel like positive thoughts would give you a very different perspective to negative ones but I don't feel like my friend would be a better person than my other friend that doesn't exactly stick around the positive side.

I feel like saying that optimistic people are better people is a bit harsh and that it's a generalisation that pessimistic people are all miserable.

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:11 PM

I see, I was judgemental up there, saying positive thinking would make you a better human" sorry,tha's wrong. What I meant, it would improve your life, better life.

I know from my experience that people that tend towards negative thinking a more careful and better friends, necause they care.

FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:13 PM

@Sveto not your fault.  I've just had a shit time recently.  Nothing to do with you mate.  I was just getting really aggressive for no reason.

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:20 PM

I am sorry to hear about your shit time. But head up, you'll get through it, no shit can brake you!
Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:08 PM

This site or any other person should never judge you or anyone else on this planet. If I was in your shoes, had you rpast, historyu character etc I would behae the same like you!
This site is about how to improve life.

lanejane
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:10 PM

okay my talkative new friendssssssss (and old friends!)

next question!

6.    On a more positive note, what are some of the things you do to pick yourself up when you’re feeling pessimistic?

lanejane
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:15 PM

6. On a more positive note, what are some of the things you do to pick yourself up when you’re feeling pessimistic?

Remember how hard things have been and far I have come. It's not really that simple though, I have find things that prove that to me and look back at times I really struggled. Sometimes I talk to people who see positive things in me.
bessie94
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:18 PM

@j95 awesome ideas about picking yourself up!!

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:20 PM

Awesome responses and perspective guys... were coming to the last few questions, so I want to know...

7. What advice would you give to someone who wants to become more optimistic?

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:29 PM

7. What advice would you give to someone who wants to become more optimistic?

I would say:

1. Yo it is awesome that you wanna do something different

2. If you want to try and be optimistic why don't you try doing a positive and negative for the scenario. We've seen a few examples here on the forum and we also have a whole thread for it to help!

3. Don't stress if you're optimistic about something and it doesn't quite work out... sometimes stuff is just "bad luck" and it doesn't mean you're a bad person. We all get let down occasionally!

4. If you cant think of anything positive... why not chat to a friend about it and see what their point of view is? Sometimes it helps to involve others!

AND THEN I WOULD SEND THEM A PICTURE

optis.jpg

... because pizza Heart

lanejane
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:33 PM

Couldn't of said it any better myself @lanejane

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:30 PM

Good points @lanejane using your social networks can be very important and useful as well!!!!!!

and when you fail, just try again!

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:32 PM

I just found this and it is so me sometimes HAHA

optis.jpg

lanejane

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:33 PM

AND THIS IS TOO GOOD NOT TO SHARE

IM SORRY GUYS BUT PICS = MY LIFE

Optimist_b2e275_161262.jpg

lanejane
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:35 PM

@lanejane HAHAHAHAA 1 Million High Fives!

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:34 PM

there are three sorts of people.... heh

lanejane

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:36 PM

I'm the third one.