cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:48 PM

I've never been in a relationship, but I think I was very close to being in one, you could call it "pre-dating" and when that ended it got a bit awkward. I think I was just not mature enough yet, and was imagining things of the future, and when things just didn't end up like that in reality, I realised my stupidity.

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:54 PM

@treebytheriver sometimes when things don't work out it's because there's something better coming your way. if you felt awkward about that relationship maybe it just wasn't the right person for you! 🙂

lanejane
Dreamer 95
Super frequent scribe

I've broken up with someone once and that went horrible, like the story of that is long but long story short, he was verbally abusive and liked to get his way and after a month i knew i had to leave and i broke up with him for that and for 4 months after he messaged me and tried to make me get back with him and constantly messaged me so i had to get a new number and block, him from everything i had, it was horrible,
the next short "30 minute not even relationship", he asked me to go out with him and i said no at first and he neally cried so i said yes and 20 minutes later he asked me to have sex and my answer was no, i then left his house and he messaaged me while i was walking and then he said "i don't think this will work out becacuse you won't have sex with me" so that didnt turn out the way i wanted it, after that he kept trying to get me to do stuff and i ended up blocking him also,
just with me it didnt seem to end well but this relationship i have now is great.

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:52 PM

@Dreamer 95 i'm glad you said no to that guy. sounds like his heart wasn't in the right place. he was just acting on weird hormones or something. everyone in a relationship deserves to feel respected and valued regardless of how "sexually active" they chose to be or not. besides, you had been back together for such a short time. did he expect that you would just jump right into it? silly silly.

glad you have moved on to something and someone better Heart

lanejane
Dreamer 95
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:56 PM

lanejane 
he did, he expected me to just jump into bed with him just because he asked me out, only reason he asked me out was because i told him i would be more comfy in a relationship to do things so he tried taking advantage of that Smiley Sad it felt horrible, 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 9:01 PM

@Dreamer 95 what a douche 😞

if you ever go through that sort of experience again re: being sexually active and people possibly taking advantage of being in a realtionship, remember we have some info on RO about bringing sex into a relationship. might help you to think things through if you're feeling confused or worried.

lanejane
Myvo
Star contributor

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:50 PM

@Dreamer 95 So sorry to hear about that Smiley Sad Had something very similar happen to me too and having to deal with such crap gives you the sh*ttiest feeling. 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:45 PM

Have you ever experienced a break up? (Did it go as well as could be expected?)

Yup. And nope, it was soooo ugly Smiley Indifferent

At the time, I suppose that I wasn't very emotionally mature as I thought that I was. I'd like to think that now I've improved from my past actions. 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:47 PM

Hey guys all sorry I'm late 🙂 I'm just here for a bit so thought I'd join in 

Have you ever experienced a break up? (Did it go as well as could be expected?)

I've experienced alot of break ups and most were bad except my last one, we ended on a good note which was refreshing.

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:49 PM

Aw @ruenhonx 

How did you manage to end things postively? Share your wisdom with us oh mighty one.

lanejane

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:53 PM

Haha @lanejane

We actually talked like communicated honestly and openly about everything and we both just realized that if we keep going we are just going to hurt each other so we decided to end it and stay positive and okay with each other.

Hardest thing ever because we were together for 3-4yrs but we did what was good for the both of us.

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:57 PM

@ruenhonx you are so grounded and smart. if i could have done what you did in my past relationships i would have saved like WEEKS (or even months) of brain mess and heartache and stuff.

lanejane

originally posted on 23-02-2015 9:00 PM

Yeah but it took alot for me to get to that @lanejane I had so many broken hearts before I finally figured out how to communicate without bringing the madness out lol. I still struggle with it. Work in progress I think 🙂

originally posted on 23-02-2015 9:01 PM

Do you think it’s worse to be the dump-er or the dump-ee?

I hate being dumped, but then again I think that is a pride thing. So I prefer to be the dump-er although sometimes its hard to dump someone who just doesn't get it so sometimes being the dump-ee is not so bad either. 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:38 PM

I feel like some people stay in relationships because they are too scared to leave, they just put up with the problems and live with it. Almost like sometimes it's too late to leave. I am guilty and this and it's a pretty horrible thing but it feels like you can't get out and you just have to "learn to love" the other person.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
chandelier
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:44 PM

definitely seen people stay in unhappy relationships because they would rather be unhappy than alone! or people that jump into the very next thing that comes along after a break up for the same reason. there has to be balance... like if you are happy and content alone then you'll be less likely to end up in an unhappy relationship.....

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:46 PM

@chandelier people are scared of being single sometimes. i also think it has a lot to do with your friendship groups. if all my friends were single, i wouldn't mind being out of a relationship as much... but everyone i know is like almost getting married. so it makes it heaps harder when you're not in a relationship and everyone else is.

lanejane
Myvo
Star contributor

@chandelier @lanejane It also gets pretty complex when someone gets into a relationship because everyone they know is in one. But the relationship is for all the wrong reasons. 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:43 PM

@j95 Guilty of staying in relationships too, just because I don't want to be lonely Smiley Sad

And breaking up is all like: 

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:33 PM

Would you say that sometimes breaking up can be a positive thing?

For sure!! It's not worth anything to stay in relationship when you feel unloved, used or like it's just not right. Everyone deserves to be happy.
chandelier
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:36 PM

@j95 "It's not worth anything to stay in relationship when you feel unloved, used or like it's just not right. Everyone deserves to be happy."

Well said
safari93
Uber contributor

@j95 I like the glue metaphor - once it goes away it doesn't feel like you're connecting to your partner the way you used to

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:32 PM

2. What are some signs that a relationship might be heading towards a break up?

when the glue sort of becomes 'unstuck', you're fighting a lot or just generally not getting along. When you find that you are keeping things from each other. Maybe if you think you need to work on yourself?? I know that personally I have broken up with someone to focus on my own mental health and just being for a while.
lanejane
Star contributor

@j95 i reckon your answer kind of ties into my next answer! you've got to be able to still have time for you, and be able to work on yourself, while you're in a realtionship. if you can't do that then it's a sign that maybe it's not the right place for you to be.

lanejane
safari93
Uber contributor

originally posted on 23-02-2015 8:29 PM

Would you say that sometimes breaking up can be a positive thing?

I think breakups can be good if the relationship itself is toxic. Sometimes you need to end a relationship/leave for your own wellbeing or safety