cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ATSI Gathering Place

Darwin is a really interesting place for that reason @Birdeye - almost 10% of its population are Indigenous (compared to 0.5% for Melbourne)!

I also have family up there and my aunty works in the Territory's Education Department with children who are deaf. Rates of hearing loss in Indigenous communities are much, much higher than the rest of society (sadly Smiley Sad) and so naturally a lot of her work is focused around Indigenous kids. Really interesting stuff, and super important to be culturally aware!

I wouldn't have expected hearing loss rates to be so much higher in the Indigenous communities, thanks for that bit of information @lokifish.

You're right it's so important to be culturally aware, and I was super interested in the cultural differences of the peoples I was able to learn about. It's probably interesting and worth learning about the cultures of those in your own area, and I just think that if you're able to see it in real life--like in darwin, or even just like when you go to areas that have a large population of immigrant from a specific country, it gives a nice and somewhat more real perspective of cultures.
Highlighted

Shoutout to any users who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander! We invite you to share a little bit about yourselves and your culture, to help all of us learn and grow together!

I have a question for everyone: do you think it would be helpful if we posted some resources on Indigenous Australia in this thread? Relevant media stuff, etc?

I'm really mindful of coming and posting in here as a white Australian, but I've been trying to become more culturally competent, and there's some awesome content out there which I think would be great to share.

For example, ABC have a dedicated Indigenous section of their website Smiley Happy

I'd love that @lokifish Smiley Happy learning about other cultures is super important Smiley Happy

I think so @lokifish and I would like to be part of that.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Anonymous

Hey, I’m from the Anaiwan tribe but live currently on land owned by the Gadigal people of the Eora nation. I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly when I acknowledge tribes but that’s my shot at it. I’m not even sure, when I answer the questions, if my ideas about who we are would offend. Also I’ve only just joined and saw that no one had posted on this thread for a while and I just decided to...add to it? Yeah. Uh, I’ll go answer the questions.

Which tribe do you, your ancestors and family belong to?

Anaiwan (Armidale NSW region)

What is your absolute favourite thing to do when you have spare time?

Anything that involves music! I play two instruments: the euphonium and trombone!

What makes you most proud about being Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander?

I’m proud because I am one of the few lucky people in my whole family who have an opportunity to go all the way with education and seeking what I want in life. I can represent and be a role model for the rest of my cousins, nieces and nephews who deserve a chance in the big world. Unfortunately I am the only Aboriginal woman in my high school but I am a statistic that will contribute to the rise of our culture into what society is today.

Fantastic @Anonymous Smiley Happy Thank you for sharing

Thanks so much for sharing!! @Anonymous

Last night I found out that somebody from my community very important to me passed away last night. and I need money to go there