cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Books!

Currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It's really thought-provoking!

I'm not sure if I posted this at the start of the year, but my goal for 2018 was to read 50 books from start to finish... I haven't quite gotten there (currently on book #34, and have also half-read a few more books) but I've still done pretty well Smiley Tongue I might spam the list of them in case anyone is looking for some summer reading hehehe

Okay, here's the list Smiley Tongue I've separated it into fiction and non-fiction. As you can see there's a decent mix of biographies, classics, children's books, philosophy and general interest Smiley Happy

Lokifish's Finished Books for 2018

FICTION

NON-FICTION

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Here It Is - Paul Roos

If I Could Fly - Jill Hucklesby

The Natural World of Winnie the Pooh - Kathryn Aalto

The Mango Tree - Ronald McKie

Peggy And Me - Miranda Hart

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy - Dean Kowalski

The Complete Adventures of Blinky Bill - Dorothy Wall

Love Life - Rob Lowe

Five Minutes More - Darlene Ryan

More Fool Me - Stephen Fry

Bone By Bone - Tony Johnston

Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Do Not Pass Go - Tim Moore

I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore

Jim Henson: The Biography - Brian Jay Jones

A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck - Mark Manson

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng

Wrong Way Round - Lorna Hendry

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

My Age Of Anxiety - Scott Stossel

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

This Shirt Won't Iron Itself - Anthony Lehmann

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

The Wind In The Willows - Kenneth Grahame

My Brief History - Stephen Hawking

Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey

Goodbye Christopher Robin - Ann Thwaite

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Anne of Green Gables - L. M. Montgomery

Ah, that's amazing @lokifish! What an accomplishment Smiley Happy !

@Esperanza67 wrote:
Currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It's really thought-provoking!

YES!! That is such a good book. It covers soooooo many different things and honestly has changed my perspective on EVERYTHING in the modern and ancient world. I strongly encourage you to check out Harari's other works Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow and 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (currently working through that one myself) when you've finished Sapiens.

It took me so long to get through that book because there's just so much content that I found equally engaging -- I used to come outside and babble to my parents about what I read and they just looked at me in confusion Smiley LOL

Also, @lokifish, I think you've just inspired me read more next year Smiley Very Happy

Yeah it's been taking quite a while for me to read Sapiens @unwind (still currently reading it) but you're definitely right: it definitely changes the way you view things in the world! I will definitely check out Harari's other books - thanks for the recommendation!

Focusing on finishing one book at a time for me atm.

@lokifish that's so impressive! that makes me so inspired to set myself a reading goal for next year, wow! 

@Esperanza67 @unwind those books sound really interesting! i might add them to my to-read list Smiley Tongue

@BunnyWalks that's a good idea! i suck so much at sticking to one book, my attention span is awful lol. what's your secret?

Right now i've just started reading Emily Wilson's translation of Homer's Odyssey, i'm super pumped guys!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a Slow-Mo Getting Real chat on Family Changes during the week running from the 7-11th of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Ooo, that's a nice list @lokifish! I really liked reading Jasper Jones, the characters felt very dynamic and the dry humour is always welcome (whelp). I should read it again.

I haven't gotten into too many books this year since I got a bit bored of the YA section (they're all too similar, though Searching for Alaska / Hunger Games were good). My librarian recommended Dune -- I hadn't heard of it and she couldn't believe it! I've never in my life seen a someone attack the library shelves as ferociously as she did then!! I'm so glad she recommended it though, I devoured it. It'd been a while since I read a book with such an imaginative world and complex intertwined storylines.

Nice @lokifish!! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I am rereading Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, I'm already on the third book Smiley Tongue