cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Books!

I read this awesome book called "The Tattooist of Auschwitz" by Heather Morris in the holidays. It was so intense and gripping and scary in a way but so amazing! I am really bad at explaining things, but I'll give it a go at telling you about the book. Actually, wait, I'll copy and paste the description from Goodreads...

"In April 1942, Lale Sokolov, a Slovakian Jew, is forcibly transported to the concentration camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau. When his captors discover that he speaks several languages, he is put to work as a Tätowierer (the German word for tattooist), tasked with permanently marking his fellow prisoners.
Imprisoned for more than two and a half years, Lale witnesses horrific atrocities and barbarism—but also incredible acts of bravery and compassion. Risking his own life, he uses his privileged position to exchange jewels and money from murdered Jews for food to keep his fellow prisoners alive.
One day in July 1942, Lale, prisoner 32407, comforts a trembling young woman waiting in line to have the number 34902 tattooed onto her arm. Her name is Gita, and in that first encounter, Lale vows to somehow survive the camp and marry her.
A vivid, harrowing, and ultimately hopeful re-creation of Lale Sokolov's experiences as the man who tattooed the arms of thousands of prisoners with what would become one of the most potent symbols of the Holocaust, The Tattooist of Auschwitz is also a testament to the endurance of love and humanity under the darkest possible conditions."

I can't find words to describe how great this book was. It was awesome! But very intense and several kinda graphic scenes and very sad. But AWESOME! 

wow @beagle866 thank you for sharing this - sounds like a powerful and harrowing book. What an amazing story.  

Whoa @beagle866 that book sounds intense! What an important story to tell, I’m so grateful these witness accounts and stories of that awful time aren’t being lost. What other things do you enjoy reading? 

Recently I committed to turning off my electronics and reading for half an hour before bed and I’m really enjoying it! I’ve been rereading old children’s books, like those by Noel Streatfield and Joan Aiken and Emily Rhodda and it’s really comforting and fun Smiley Very Happy What were everyone else’s fave books as kids? 

@DruidChild It was intense! And I've heard there is going to be a sequel to it which is going to be released in October this year. It tells the true story of one of the other girls Lale (the main character) knew, who was also in Auschwitz and is about what she went through. I can't wait for it to come out! 

I enjoy reading Young Adult fiction and usually prefer it to be about real life topics. For example, war, cancer, autism, disability, historical events, mystery, adventure, thrillers, mental illness, etc etc. But I do like fantasy sometimes as well, I just don't read it as often. I like Harry Potter and the Akarnae series by Lynette Noni, which is quite a new series which I really like. I also like reading non fiction about the Holocaust, because i'm particularly interested in it and people's real stories of what they went through. And I also like biographies and life stories, usually about war or true stories of people who have Asperger's, which i have too Smiley Happy 

Wow, I just realised I have written nearly a whole novel on what I like to read! Hope you don't mind!

I read "Midnight is a Place" by Joan Aiken a while ago and really enjoyed it Smiley Happy

When I was a kid, I used to read lots of books by Enid Blyton, when I was about 7 or 8 I think, and still actually read them now sometimes! I loved The Famous Five, and The Secret Seven and her mystery books, like "The Mystery of the Missing Man" etc. I also liked books by Roald Dahl too and often read those.

Recently, I have been reading these new books that are designed for children, but can be read by literally anyone! They're called "Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls" and there is a No. 1 and No. 2, which are both really good. They are true stories of inspirational and influential women from like 10,000 years ago till now, and it's really good! You can read them whether you're a girl or kid or not, they're still good either way.

@beagle866 I don’t mind at all, I love hearing what other people are reading! Smiley Very Happy 

It’s exciting that there’s a sequel! Have you read Number the Stars by Lois Lowry or The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzack? Those are both about the holocaust, and really good. It’s so awesome that you read so many different things! Smiley Happy Are there any YA novels or biographies that are your particular favourites? Also, what kind of books have you read about Aspergers? (I might have that too btw! But I haven’t had the money for a proper diagnosis yet!)

Ah my cousin has that book and it’s gorgeous! I love reading about cool and inspirational women. 

Thank you heaps for sharing Heart

@beagle866 Have you read Night by Elie Wiesel? It was written by a survivor of the Holocaust and it was so moving as well! I'm definitely going to check out your recommendations, they sound like awesome reads!

@DruidChild Yes, I've read both of those and they're great! I haven't got a particular favourite YA book, but I can list a few good ones that I've read over the past few years:

- "Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys was really good, I remember. It's a war one.

- "Between Shades of Gray" also by Ruta Sepetys was awesome. Yep, you guessed it, another war one Smiley Happy

- "Turtles all the way down" by John Green was great and it was about OCD and anxiety

- "Aftermath" by Kelley Armstrong was awesome! It was about a school shooting and is pretty exciting. 

Some good biographies/life stories/memoirs I've read are:

"The Time in Between" by Nancy Tucker. It's about anorexia and bulimia and is really well written, although is very triggering, so I try to avoid it now. But it's a really good book!

"Unmasked" by Turia Pitt. It's a really good true story about Turia, an athlete, who was badly burned all over her body in a bush fire and how she bounced back from it. 

I read all sorts of books about Aspergers, but mainly ones where it's written by someone who has it and they share their experiences and advice and tips on how to get through life, I guess!

A good one I read lately was called: "Been there. Done That. Try This! An Aspie's guide to life on earth." Lots of different people, both men and women, contributed to it, and they all had Asperger's and shared their experiences and advice on different topics eg. depression, anxiety, dealing with emotions, sensory overload etc. and how to deal with it. It was very interesting, and I would recommend reading it if you're interested.

And another good one on Asperger's is called "Nerdy, Shy and Socially Inappropriate: A user guide to an Asperger life". It was also divided into different topics and was written by a lady who has Asperger's. 

That's cool you might have Asperger's too! There are these online Asperger's and autism forums which I go on, where practically everyone on them has either been diagnosed with Asperger's/autism, is suspecting that they have it and is waiting for a diagnosis, or has been self diagnosed. There are also people who have a loved one/know someone with Asperger's and are looking for information. Anyone is welcome there, and it is a friendly place, so if you want to meet other people who may have Aspergers/have it etc., you can check that out if you want to! It is like on here, you can play forum games, talk about autism related stuff, mental illness, or just chit chat about random stuff Smiley Happy

It's here: https://www.autismforums.com/

@queenP

Yes, I've read that book Smiley Happy It was really good! Do you have any favourite books/genres of books?

Just picked up a copy of Rupi Kaur's 'The Sun and her Flowers' - very excited to read it!
Highlighted

Thank you so much for sharing @beagle866 Smiley Happy I’ve got lots more books to add to my goodreads list now! I’ve heard about Turia Pitt before, she sounds like a really inspirational person.

And thank you heaps for the forum link, that looks like a really positive and supportive community. 

@May_ I hope you enjoy the book! I’ve heard that Rupi Kaur is a really good poet! Smiley Happy