cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Books!

@beagle866

I absolutely LOVE dystopian fiction. I like We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, it was the inspiration for George Orwell's 1984, as well as Messiah by Gore Vidal because it has a really interesting death cult dimension. By far, my favourite dystopian text would have to be The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood. She is an Australian author and the setting of her text reminds me of my hometown. I was even lucky enough to meet and interview her about her book a few years ago!

At the moment, I am loving non-fiction texts. I've been reading QueerStories in preparation for Mardi Gras, which is a collection of short stories about life in the LGBTQ+ community, as well as Any Ordinary Day by Leigh Sales (the news anchor from the 7:30 Report). It is all about recovering from trauma and what lies after the worst day of your life and it has been a real eye opener. It reminds me to be grateful every day!

Oooh I want to read Any Ordinary Day @queenP!

I'm about to start reading The Husband's Secret by Lianne Moriarty.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@letitgo I'm only a few chapters in, but so far, it's brilliant!

After so many months, I have finally finished reading Sapiens! Such an eye-opening and interesting read Smiley Happy.

Now I'm currently reading Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

I'm currently reading Their Brilliant Careers by Ryan O'Neill but I have a YA book on hold at the library - Audacious by GC Prendergast.

Also @queenP I'm so envious that you met Charlotte Wood!! The Natural Way of Things is AMAZING!

Have you read The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose?

@Puppies026 I just bought You this morning! I'll write a little review when i'm done! 

@DruidChild yeah she is - I've hardly read any poetry books before but have really enjoyed hers Smiley Happy

@letitgo She was absolutely lovely, it was such an honour to pick her brain! 

No I haven't heard of it, what's it about? 

It won the Stella Prize a few years ago, same as The Natural Way of Things.

It's about Marina Ambramovic, the artist who sat in a chair in New York's Museum of Modern Art for something like 75 days. The book was narrated by creativity, sort of like how The Book Thief was narrated by death, and it follows several different characters as they watch Marina's exhibit in New York. Smiley Happy

Also, I just finished reading a novel in verse, called Audacious, and I really enjoyed it Smiley Happy