cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cool Indigenous stuff

Hey man @j95 I would love your thoughts on this article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-27/aboriginal-people-pressured-to-lose-culture-study-says/7790928

I found this powerful: 

Respondents raised concerns about what is considered valuable in mainstream Australia.

"There was a very strong emphasis on the materialism and individualism of white Australian culture and what that costs people," former head researcher at Larrakia Nation Penny Taylor said.

I really like this statement @Bree-RO

"We get our power from knowing we are connected … knowing who your family is, who your background is, got the country, how you're connected, what your totem is and your dreaming is like" 

I kind of struggled with the bottom half of the article but it does kind of feel like we have to meet the expectations and follow the rules set by white people and disregard how we really are to feel accepted and that we can do stuff but then that comes with internal conflict because that's not me and that's not my culture that's just what everyone wants me to try to be like. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

For sure @j95. You do really well to arise above that.

This is powerful and a bit alarming - "And only 16 per cent thought non-Indigenous Australians tried to understand Aboriginal culture"

Yep it feels that way sometimes @Bree-RO
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey! A really cool thing I saw in Canberra when I visited was the Aboriginal Tent Embassy Smiley Happy I loved it. I thought it really showed the strength of the aboriginal community, they were prepared to sacrifice themselves for the respect that they deserve. I think it was just a very strong, meaningful protest and yeah! words bleagh Smiley Wink

So mum made me a beautiful quilt for my birthday and it had cool Aboriginal designs on it next to all the music stuff she used!image.jpg

i don’t know if this counts for this thread. Also the quilt is folded so I guess it’s just a preview of what she made for me.

Highlighted

WOW that quilt is amazing @Tromphonium12! Smiley Very Happy

Definitely counts!! Thanks for sharing @Tromphonium12
I don’t think I have seen that in person @annabethxchase
The official music video for Mojo Juju's 'Native Tongue' from the album 'NATIVE TONGUE'. Album out now through ABC Music: https://ABCMusic.lnk.to/nativetongueID. Featuring dancers DJUKI MALA Directed & Produced by Claudia Sangiorgi Dalimore Co-Produced by Josh Bond Edited by Paul van Kan / Fern ...

thanks for sharing @Tromphonium12

I wanted to share this song as one I am hoping to see in the countdown on Sunday 

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=148&v=JLQ4by3lUJo 

Indigenous artist from Melbourne Heart

I’ve been doing lino printing art work lately, I like telling stories through the pictures, I have only down a couple because they take a while