cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences that you make you proud

Tonight, I put on my beanie, rain jacket and layered up then went along to Federation Square for the Kulin Tanderrum ceremony, which was a meeting of 5 clans from the Kulin Nation - Wurundjeri, Boon Wurrung, Taungurung, Dja Dja Wurrung and Wadawurrung. For the hour tonight I felt like I belonged somewhere, amongst people from the same culture sharing a sacred space. It felt like home. I haven't really experienced that in terms of my culture before, I have a basic knowledge about where my family come from but I have never felt like I am a part of the Indigenous community and actually connected and tonight I did, I really felt safe among a community I now feel like belong to, so much so that I actually spoke to new people. Coming home on the tram I saw people from the same event and I felt so much pride and like we were all a family. I really did enjoy myself and felt at home - safe, welcome and valued. I'm holding on to that feeling and not letting it go. 

I want to ask all my friends on RO, have ever done something or been a part of something that made you feel so proud of who you are? Please share.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Re: Experiences that you make you proud

This is wonderful @j95 Smiley Happy I'm so happy for you that you've had this experience. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @N1ghtW1ng I feel like I'm really ready to start getting more involved in that massive part of my life and I'm excited for what's to come

I am SO thrilled for you @j95. This fills me with joy Smiley Very Happy

That pride is such an exceptional feeling and I'm glad you have found it and felt safe, welcomed, and valued in the community. That is truly special.

It's not the same, nor anywhere near as powerful, but I had a swell of pride when my young hockey team received their premiership medals this year. I couldn't have been more proud of coaching them or more proud of the kindness of everyone at the club. I have been lucky to have really fantastic and enthusiastic parents this year.

Thanks @Kit I'm really pleased that I went and experienced that it's made the sun shine so much brighter for me today. I feel like I'm really ready to start getting involved and being a part of that community.

I love it when young sports teams win, it's so nice, I used to help coach an under 14s football side a few years ago.
Congratulations to your team, that's an awesome achievement!!

That is so cool @j95, I love it when you find a place or a group where you just "belong". It's like a giant hug from the universe.

I think the last thing I felt really proud of was being part of a really special campaign about suicide prevention. I got to talk to lots of people and hear their experiences, and share my experiences, and it just felt good to do good.

@ElleBelle yeah exactly, i feel so lucky to be a part of that special family

That's an awesome experience, thanks for sharing it

I was initially quite worried about going - I was going alone, it was raining, it was cold I was finding all these excuses and I'm glad I went, so glad
Highlighted

bringing this thread back

Last night for me an experience that made me feel proud was the NAIDOC ball