cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Introduce Yourself Here - NEW BUILDERS!

@Tay100 it’s run by Yale professors but it is a free online course through a website called coursera, everyone can do it. Just find it interesting to understand people and how the brain works, but also thought having tools to apply that in my life as well could be helpful
Highlighted

I tried to do that Science of Wellbeing course too @Lottie! Smiley Happy I found it was too much of a commitment at the time though, especially as it focuses on building up habits. I'm trying another one on Coursera called De-Mystifying Mindfulness. I think it's interesting so far and it also has sections where you can practise the meditations, though I still think it's a big time commitment. I've managed to get through it so far though!
I did another course on Coursera called Psychological First Aid. It was really informative.

Highlighted

This sounds so cool @WheresMySquishy! What did you learn in the psychological first aid course, can I ask?
Highlighted

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  It was a pretty helpful course with a lot of practical techniques! It was mostly focused on how to help and talk to people who have been affected by things like disasters. I think it would apply to pandemics too so it was really useful. It taught skills like how to assess who needs help, active listening, how to de-escalate the situation when someone is agitated or distressed, how to respond to someone and follow up with them, self-care techniques and other similar things. I think some of the techniques are similar to the builder training but it taught me a lot of new things too, including face-to-face techniques. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey! Thanks for the great welcome and thanks everyone for their introduction, it's so nice getting to know everyone.

How did you first hear about ReachOut and when did you decide to get involved on the forums as a user?

I first heard about ReachOut a few years ago through studying Psychology at uni and I thought it was a great place to go when I was having my own low points. I loved reading the articles and the fact that so much information was collated in one place. I decided to get involved on the forums only at the start of this year when I looked into counselling volunteering.

What's your favourite post thread?

I love all of the games threads where you have to think of a food or animal etc. starting with a certain letter! 

Why did you decide to become a Builder?

I decided to become a builder because in all honesty I really love sharing my own strategies with others when it comes to dealing with mental health issues. I have recently spent a lot of time researching nutrition, exercise and meditation when it comes to mental wellbeing but I know how intimidating it can be when it comes to finding motivation to start. I can't wait to share my tips with others.

What do you do during the day (Study? Work? Hunt ghosts? Fight Crime? Taste cupcakes?)?

I'm currently working in retail but I'm looking forward to finding a new job in counselling since I have recently finished my Honours degree. I also love exercising (going for walks and hikes), doing yoga, cooking and eating delicious nutritious plant-based foods and although I wish I fought crime the closest I get to this would have to be reading adventure books.

Do you have any weird hobbies (Train a rubber duck army? Teach lizards Spanish? Learn how to the master the recorder?)?

I wish I had a weird hobby after reading this question! But some of my more conventional hobbies include drawing, reading, yoga and cooking (even though I'm not very good and want to practice more).

What's your all time favourite TV show?

This is so hard! I am too indecisive to pick one but some of my favourites would have to be:
- Offspring

- Atypical

- Masterchef

- How I Met Your Mother

Highlighted

@JullyBean  Welcome to the forums! Thanks for applying to be a Builder. Smiley Happy

Like you, I also did a Psychology Honours degree and chose to volunteer with ReachOut to improve my skills regarding mental health and help others. It can be hard to find places you can volunteer at which involve counselling and using the skills that you learn during the course (and I've volunteered at a LOT of places), so I'm glad you've managed to find ReachOut. I hope you learn a lot through volunteering on the forums! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Lottie ohh right, that sounds so good, and especially useful in these times of isolation! Do you get some sort of certificate at the end?

Highlighted

@JullyBean nice to have you here! I noticed you watched Atypical- do you have a favourite character? What do you think of the show given your knowledge of psychology?

Highlighted

1. How did you first hear about ReachOut and when did you decide to get involved on the forums as a user?
    I was looking for a volunteer position in youth and I found out that a site I had previously used had one. So here I am
  2. What's your favourite post thread?
    1000 positives threads in the Everyday Life section
  3. Why did you decide to become a Builder?
    I have always tried to be a support system for people and thought this would a great way to keep doing that
  4. What do you do during the day (Study? Work? Hunt ghosts? Fight Crime? Taste cupcakes?)?
    I study psychology
  5. Do you have any weird hobbies (Train a rubber duck army? Teach lizards Spanish? Learn how to the master the recorder?)?
    I don't know if this a weird hobby but I'm learning to write poetry.
  6. What's you're all time favourite TV show?
    The Bold Type
Highlighted

Yay, I get to be cool with the cool people (that's everyone here)!

How did you first hear about ReachOut and when did you decide to get involved on the forums as a user?

One day on my way home I passed by some kind of performance/promotion/I-don't-know-there-people-on-a-stage-thing with some banners that said ReachOut.com on them. I didn't pay much attention because it was in a busy place and there was loud music, two things that I never stick around for if I can help it but I opened up ReachOut on my phone and had a look around.

Honestly the thing that caught my eye the most was volunteering positions; I want to be a peer worker, and it'd be great not having to wait until I've finished (or even started!) studying to build up and practice those skills. I decided not to just dive straight into being a builder, and just signed up as a member of the forums to get a sense of them. Which has been great!

What's your favourite post thread?

The three positives of today thread! I always have a slightly better perspective on life after posting there.

Why did you decide to become a Builder?

When the coronavirus hit I had to stop working, and I had all this time that I didn't know what to do with at first. I decided it was time to do some volunteering like I wanted to, so I looked at my options. The other program I was considering had stopped accepting applicants, and I was already liking being here so it was a very easy choice Smiley Very Happy

What do you do during the day (Study? Work? Hunt ghosts? Fight Crime? Taste cupcakes?)?

At the moment it really depends on the day! Some days I'll be gardening, others making a game, and others playing them instead.

Do you have any weird hobbies (Train a rubber duck army? Teach lizards Spanish? Learn how to the master the recorder?)?

I like to rear caterpillars! It's not often I do this, but sometimes if I displace a caterpillar in my gardening I'll take it into my care. I've been doing this less often now that I've decided to only rear indigenous species too. Once they're all grown up into butterflied and moths I release them into the big wide world!

What's you're all time favourite TV show?

:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑Pretty Cure!・゚゚*:༅。.。༅:*゚:

治愈向】好痛苦,好難過,好喜歡你 – KISEKI NO ANIME ACGMN