cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Introduce Yourself Here - NEW BUILDERS!

Loving the responses and getting to know you all! Smiley Very Happy For those of you who've mentioned Brooklyn 99, I'll have to tag you in our toit B99 thread

@spacejam @_Artemis_ @skyedre would any of you like to post an intro? Smiley Happy

Hi everyone! Excited to join the team!

1. How did you first hear about ReachOut and when did you decide to get involved on the forums as a user?

Honestly, I first heard about ReachOut just through some random googling earlier this year. I was really interested in getting some more hands on experience with mental health and psychology, and these forums seemed like a perfect place to do so!

2. What's your favourite post thread?

Hmm, that's kinda tough for me since I haven't had much time to explore yet, but so far, am loving posts on self-care! Really important thing to do, and sharing ideas and tips makes it fun Smiley Happy 

3. Why did you decide to become a Builder?

I'm really interested in mental health and psychology, and really want to be in a position where I can help others going through tough times. Since I'm not a qualified clinical psychologist yet (that's the dream), I want to be able to do what I can with my experiences and knowledge to help others in any way I can.

4. What do you do during the day (Study? Work? Hunt ghosts? Fight Crime? Taste cupcakes?)?

I finished my Honours in Psych last year, and taking the year off to sort of explore where my interests and passions lie. Currently applying for lots of jobs, hopefully will get an offer soon!

5. Do you have any weird hobbies (Train a rubber duck army? Teach lizards Spanish? Learn how to the master the recorder?)?

Haha, I don't know about weird, but this is kind of sad. I began growing a little herb garden a couple of months ago, and although they I got cute little sprouts and planted them in a bigger pot. The unrelenting summer sun fried the poor things, and I'm trying my best to revive them!

6. What's you're all time favourite TV show?

Hmm, I don't actually watch a lot of TV shows and the two that come to mind are about as different as they come. Criminal Minds, and Legend of Korra! 

1. How did you first hear about ReachOut and when did you decide to get involved on the forums as a user?

I first heard about ReachOut when I was googling mental health outlets. I decided to get involved because generally providing support for people more widely than your immediate groups isn't available unless you are a qualified practitioner. The ReachOut forums provide a way to do this, with people my own age which I thought was a great opportunity that I really wanted to be a part of. 

I'm only new to the forums so I'm still sort of navigating through the threads. I would love some suggestions of good places to visit though. 

I decided to become a builder because it seems like a really positive way to give support to those who need it. I am also doing psychology at uni and thought it would be a great way to start doing what I want to do for my life earlier. 

4. What do you do during the day?

Since uni started back this week, my days are already filled with study and a ridiculous number of set readings. But I also drink entirely too much coffee, listen to music constantly and go to the beach every chance I get. 

5.Do you have any weird hobbies?

Sadly, not really any weird hobbies. Maybe the weirdest thing is collecting cds instead of downloading music. I like having the physical thing. But I'm not too sure if that's weird Smiley Very Happy

All time favourite is hard... I watch way too much Netflix. Maybe Daria, Gilmore Girls, or Archer???

unnamed.gif

Hi @skyedre ! I see you have written that you completed your honours in psych last year.. can I ask how you found it? was it difficult? Did you find it similar to the other three years or is it completely different? how did you find the thesis'??
(you don't have to answer all or any of these questions if you don't want to i'm just very interested as I am begging honours next year and would love to hear your opinion, even though I know its different for everyone!!) Heart

@Jane_Rose  Hey, yeah sure! I definitely can't say it was easy haha, and I found it super different to undergrad years. It was much more intensive right from the get go, diving straight into meeting supervisors and discussing the research project for the thesis, and assignments sort of came at us relentlessly especially when things got busy towards the end. I really felt like we were all treated less like students, and more like budding psychologists, so we were expected to be independent and approach things with our own initiative. 

Really don't mean to scare you about Honours or anything! It's definitely a challenge, but we all grew a lot, and learnt a lot in the end. My advice would be to stay organised, (esp for your thesis cause nothing ever works out as planned), talk to your supervisors/lecturers when you need help and you'll smash it! Good luck! Smiley Happy

@skyedre thank you soo much for your reply!! So honest and real, it's good to know how it actually is rather than people sugar coating it and then me getting a big shock when I start.
Sounds like it was tough so a big congratulations to you on all your hard work Smiley Very Happy thanks again Heart

Hi @_Artemis_, you mentioned that you are happy to get some direction about where to start- are you happy for me to tag you in a few things you might be interested in?

Welcome to the builder team everyone! We are so excited to have you on board Smiley Happy If you have any questions, comments or want some support, let our builders, mods or staff know! We can help you out Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

Hello everyone!
I am a new builder so I thought I would answer the questions: 

I have a passion for mental health and so was looking at a way to make a positive difference. I stumbled upon reached out and it sounded like such an amazing resource for youth. After checking out the website I knew I wanted to get involved. 
    I am quite new to this so I do not have a favourite post thread yet. Send me some recommendations!!
    I want to be a clinical psychologist and I am uni studying to achieve that goal. While I am still at school I wanted a way to make a positive difference. Reach out seemed like the an awesome way to do that. 
  4. What do you do during the day (Study? Work? Hunt ghosts? Fight Crime? Taste cupcakes?)?
    I have just started my Honours year of a Bachelor of Psychology. So during the day I'm at uni in lecture, writing essays and researching my Honours topic. I also work part-time in the produce department of a supermarket. 
  5. Do you have any weird hobbies (Train a rubber duck army? Teach lizards Spanish? Learn how to the master the recorder?)?
    I have had a lot of weird hobbies over the years. I learned to knit beanies, I played the drums, I tried to learn French. At the moment I'm between hobbies but would love to learn to embroider clothing. 
    OOOH. This is truly impossible, how dare you ask such challenging question Smiley Wink. If I had to choose I would say Friends. But also How I Met Your Mother. Also Rupaul's Drag Race. AND The Office....Parks and Rec....Brooklyn 99. The list is too long. 

Hi everyone! 
Thought I'd introduce myself, as I'm starting to feel a little more familiar and comfortable with the forums Smiley Happy

I first heard about ReachOut probably when I was in high school, as one of the main places where a young person can go to if they needed help or someone to talk to. I decided to get involved on the forums as a user about two months ago. I'm currently doing a Bachelor's in Psychological Sciences and was looking around for my first place to volunteer my time & get experience in helping young people. 
    I'm still quite new to the forums, but so far I'm liking "3 Positives of today". I'm sure this list will grow as I get used to everything! I also enjoy all the funny little gif's people post, I'll have to figure out how to do that as well Smiley LOL
    I want to be a Clinical Psychologist and I want to work with adolescents in the future. ReachOut seemed like a really good place to start, given its history and what they're doing for our young people. 
    A lot! I have two jobs, so I'm either at a warehouse for an online fashion company packing & shipping orders OR I'm in my high-vis & steel cap boots controlling the traffic with my stop/slow bat. I'm an online student as well and I'm currently in my 3rd year, so I usually study at home after a day of work. 
    I like to think I'm part of a ghost hunting crew! I love that stuff and regularly listen to ghost story podcasts, I also love Buzzfeed Unsolved on YouTube!
    Hmm..I wish I had more time for hobbies! I do love cooking & picking up heavy stuff, then putting them down again - which could be classified as weird, but I do it at the gym so it's not that weird? Smiley Very Happy
    All time?? I would have to say The Simpsons & Friends as they're so comforting to watch and I've never seen a bad episode. Also, Game of Thrones - Obviously. Who's excited for the next season?!