cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Introduce Yourself Here - September 2020!

It's spring time!

Time to head outside and spot some baby ducklings hatching, or listen to the kookaburras laughing - just make sure you don't get swooped by a magpie!

Here are some fun bird questions to help us get to know each other Smiley Very Happy

What's your favourite type of bird?

Do you ever wish you could fly? Why/why not?

Are you an early bird or a night owl?

Why do you think the chicken crossed the road?

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Smiley Tongue

Bonus point: Post your favourite bird gif! Heart

Re: Introduce Yourself Here - September 2020!

I adore these questions

What's your favourite type of bird? I love little wrens. Maybe the splendid fairy wren? I get heaps in my garden. Also cockatoos. And also the musk duck, because it's really weird and was very funny when I first saw one.

Do you ever wish you could fly? Why/why not? So much yes. I bet it would be really fun and peaceful and beautiful and maybe sometimes more convenient.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? I'm not very strongly one or the other. But I never really deliberately get up earlier than I need to.

Why do you think the chicken crossed the road? I've heard that this joke is actually quite dark, and 'to get to other side' is metaphorical 😬

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Smiley Tongue The egg. Evolutionary wise, I'm pretty sure eggs have been around way longer than an animal that would be called a chicken

Bonus point: Post your favourite bird gif! Heartgiphy.gif

Highlighted

I haven't replied to these threads in sooo long (do months even exist anymore? It's hard to keep track! Smiley LOL) but I love these questions!

Ooooh, I have so many favorites! I love how mysterious ravens/crows are, and they're incredibly smart. I always loved peregrine falcons and owls, too! I also like cassowaries, because they're legitimately terrifying. Smiley LOL all flightless birds (minus penguins) terrify me a little, like they're actual dinosaurs and the way emus make those weird grumble sounds... so bizarre!

I can see pros and cons... I mean, I am fairly busy so I don't know how I'd realistically add flying to my schedule Smiley LOL. It'd probably make me dizzy! But I remember when I went skydiving it felt amazing floating above the ground, like everything felt so small. As a mode of transport I'd prefer to teleport.

Night owl. I haven't gotten out of bed (without having a reason to) before about midday since quarantine started. It's annoying sometimes, but I can't help it! I feel like I'm more productive at night since my family has gone to bed and nothing much can distract me (except when I find ways to distract myself...)

Because he had no body to go with! ...oh, wrong joke. Smiley LOL

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Smiley Tongue
Egg! I mean, have you seen emus/ cassowaries/ etc? They're just small dinosaurs. And don't they think most dinosaurs have feathers? But also, if the question was about chicken eggs specifically... what would make a chicken egg if there were no chickens? Maybe a chicken would come first, because whatever creature that evolved into a chicken and lay the first egg wasn't technically a chicken. Much to consider Smiley LOL

Bonus point: Post your favourite bird gif! Heart

giphy

Highlighted

Tagging some new members who might be interested in introducing themselves:
@alanah  @Bubbles99  @Madzzz  @faris @Blayd @sunnygirl606 @meganjane14 @wanderingwasp @Liliann @StarGirl101 @JasminH @Mayour @featuringme @celestialdreamer @Bingo1234 
Sorry if I've missed anyone!

By the way, you don't have to be new to the forums to participate in this thread. It's open to everyone! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Oooh this is super cool! Thank you for tagging me in @WheresMySquishy ❤️

1. Whats my favourite type of bird?

That’s a tough one. I really love hummingbirds and lovebirds. I have to agree with @hellofriend, cockatoos are super cool too!

2. Do I wish I could fly? Why/why not?

Flying would be awesome, especially during the night amongst the stars. That would be a dream come true, I think. Feeling the breeze on your face and being completely surrounded by silence and a sea of stars - I could get used to living that life for sure 🤩

3. Am I an early bird or a night owl?
I think it really depends. Sometimes I prefer staying up late and reading books till 2 Am in the morning. But other times I love being able to wake up before everyone else and have a warm drink and get ready for the day.

4. Why do I think the chicken crossed the road?
I have no clue. But I do know why the rooster crossed the road. Because it wanted to cockadoodle doo something. Yes that was bad. I know, I know 😅

5. Chicken or the egg

This is definitely the question of the century. I think it’s safe to say that the chicken came first.
 through evolution if we are going to get sciency - like @Hozzles explained. Much easier to think about it this way I think 😆

D55E51A4-EB1C-4310-BF46-900530D4DA5D.gif

Highlighted

I love this! Thank you for tagging me @WheresMySquishy !

- Hummingbirds are so tiny and cute! But I also really love penguins! (I find it so cool that they're still a bird even though they can't fly!)

- Flying would be so cool! (Save so much money not having to spend on a car or public transport Smiley Very Happy ) But it'd also be so cool to fly like peter pan and look at nature and see all the life below you.

- I am totally a night owl but i really want to try and train my body to become a morning owl!

- They were afraid someone would Caesar!

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Smiley Tongue

- The chicken must've come first yeah? Ah thinking sciency at night rattles my brain Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted

I really don't know! I like ducks, penguins, swans, pelicans, peacocks, kiwis... The list goes on.

I think I would be a bit scared of it, which is weird because I've done a lot of other thrilling things! I'm prone to motion sickness. Maybe if I could float or fly at a slower speed. It's not something I really think about. I don't really have dreams where I'm flying.

I'm pretty much nocturnal at the moment. I'd like to go to sleep earlier because it's hard to sleep during the day, especially because we have a lot of people coming to our house. I'm like the least morning person you'll ever meet. I can't function at all in the mornings. I don't know how people do it.

Smiley Surprised I've never realised the true meaning of this joke until now... How morbid!

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?
That's a good question. I've wondered that a lot myself. Has any scientist come out and said the answer?

Bonus point: Post your favourite bird gif!

giphy

giphy

Highlighted

Haha I like the idea of scientists putting forth theories on this @WheresMySquishy . I'm still pretty sold on the egg first. Both because eggs were around long before the chicken species, but also because at the origin of the chicken species a creature which was not a chicken would have laid an egg, from which a chicken hatched. Like if you trace chickens/eggs back to the very first chicken it would have come from an egg, but then if you keep tracing that lineage back there's no more chickens in it, but still eggs. I wonder how many others have stayed up at night pondering this question 😂

Highlighted

Now I'm wondering if the real question here is which came first- the egg producing organism or the egg. I don't know how to even begin thinking about that one

Highlighted

Re chicken/egg, which my brain is apparently stuck on atm 😂, the top result from Google had like a lot of background info which was quite interesting

https://time.com/4475048/which-came-first-chicken-egg

Btw, welcome and it's great to meet you @sunnygirl606 @StarGirl101! 😁