Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Learning a Language

Hmm Yeah @lokifishSmiley Happy

@lokifish haha yeah! That sounds fun

Hey, I'm an 18-year-old native French speaker! Smiley Wink If you have any questions about French language, feel free to ask me. Smiley Very Happy See you!!

That's so cool @nehels! I'm learning Spanish atm and that's super hard, I can only imaging how difficult french would be

hey @nehels

im also french expect i speak english as my first languageSmiley Happy

language learning's so fun!! Heart even if i get them mixed up Smiley LOL 
to be fair though...
italian: essere = to be, german: essen = to eat, 

but the answer to the question 'what do you want to do in future' should never be 'i want to eat a lawyer' lol (not a cannibal i swear Smiley Tongue)

Hey @annabethxchaseSmiley Very Happy

I don't think French is super hard, you might want to learn French concurrently with Spanish, I guess it could help you! Smiley Happy Good luck with your learning btw!

Hey @litgym!! Really?? Where are you from? Smiley LOL

@nehels well ive lived in Australia my whole life but my dad is from the west of France.

Highlighted

Hey Everyone!

So, I must admit... I've given up on Spanish. 

Well, not completely but I'm putting it on hold (Pretty sure that's another word for procrastinating annabethxchase) for a little while because I've got to much going on at the moment.

But, Over the past couple of months (actually YEARS) I've realised that the English language is absolutely, horrendously difficult and must make NO SENSE to anyone learning it as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. language! I'm gonna go over a couple of things that are totally weird.

1. The phrase 'Talking quietly among one another until I return.' My Science teacher said this to our class the other day and now I think about it... WHAT THE HECK?! What does 'one another' even mean? I can't even begin to wrap my head around that? Those poor, poor souls that need to learn this.

2. 'There, their & they're.' To be honest I barely know how this works to this day! Their is used: 'James went to grab their hat from the chair.' There is used: I don't even know?! They're is used: 'They are eating by the chair.' Honestly, who the hell came up with this ridiculous language?

3. Effect & Affect. Someone explain this to me, I legit have no idea....

4. The whole 'I before E except after C' rule is honestly a load of crap to be honest, there's so many words that don't apply to this - why even bother? All it does is confuse me Smiley Tongue

5. Then there's the different pronunciations for words that just confuse me to no end (WHY CAN'T WE JUST STICK TO ONE?!) Either or either, data or data, read or read, route or route, caramel or caramel?

OK, I just found this poem (Disclaimer: Not mine, someone elses, full credit to them!) It's long, try and read this - I did, I failed. I didn't put all of it in though.

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,

Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.

Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,

Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.

But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;

Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;

Let me know your thoughts or any other thoughts you have on this....strange.....language Smiley Wink

@annabethxchase English truly is a weird and wonderful language, no matter how many times i see that poem i can never finish it either Smiley Tongue
my teacher once gave me an awesome tip to remember affect and effect though! R.A.V.E.N.
R.Affect=Verb.Effect=Noun, it was life changing haha