cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love Simon talk

So i have recently watched the movie Love Simon with my friends, i have mixed feelings about the movie and i just wanna hear everyone thoughts about the movie. Spoilers may be included I guess 

Re: Love Simon talk - Spolier Alert

I am realllllyy keen to see this @ILAUVEDEN I will make sure it's on the list soon so I can join in Smiley Happy

Re: Love Simon talk

This is an awesome thread idea @ILAUVEDEN Smiley Very Happy I haven't seen the movie myself but I've heard some good things. Smiley Happy

I haven't seen it yet but I really want to @ILAUVEDEN. I've heard SUCH great things about it!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I really enjoyed it! It was a good film and I was honestly surprised that a film hadn't been made similar to it. 

What are your thoughts on it @ILAUVEDEN?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

@ErinsAntics

I agree it was a great film and there isn't many main stream movies with Lgbtq characters as leads. I really liked the fact that it was a coming of age film and it is relatable to most teens gay or straight. The movie just had a really nice atmosphere to it and i liked how it's lighthearted and it didn't feel as if it was condemning.

I do feel however, that Simon's situation is not an acurrate representation of all Lgbtq people. Ofcourse the point of the movie is to spread a positive message and show everyone that being gay is okay. But the movie to me didn't effectively pull my heart strings, i felt like the movie focused more on romanticising Simon's situation rather than elaborating on how hard it is to accept your sexuality and come out to friends and family. I felt like Simon was essentially in the best situation possible, his family was really accepting, so was his friends. Eventhough he was outed instead of coming out on his own, not much repercussions were shown. Although i did get teary eyed during the scene with Simon and his father, i felt like more should be focused his coming out journey than all the drama with love triangles and betrayals. But overall it was definitely a good watch,the soundtrack was great, and some of the shots were very aesthetic. 

I do recommend the movie Moonlight, which is a movie about a queer teen's journey of coming out in a black neighbourhood. Let me know your thoughts on the movie if you do watch it.

Hi @ILAUVEDEN, you make some really good points about Love Simon! I agree with you in that the focus should have been a bit away from romanticising the situation, and capturing the reality more. I also enjoyed it though, just for the fact that it's about representation and bringing LGBTQ characters in leading roles Smiley Happy

I haven't seen Moonlight yet, but with all the buzz it got, it seems incredible! How did you find Moonlight, especially when compared to Love Simon?

@sweet_baking

I personally found Moonlight more relatable as it touches on darker themes such as substance abuse, bullying, struggle with identity and the vulnerability of love. It accurately depicts how hard it is to grow up especially while struggling with your sexuality and it definitely has a more serious tone compared to Love Simon. The characters in Moonlight are very three dimensional and they feel like real people, there isn't a one-sided villain and you can clearly see how each individual character effect and help shape the main character into who he is at the end of the movie. The movie follows the main character's journey from a young child to a teenager and then into adulthood.

The way they filmed the movie is definitely one of the best things about it, some scenes are filmed in first person perspective and allow you to really put yourself in his shoes. There are also scene where the audio and visuals are misaligned which represents how the character feels at that exact moment. Overall it's one of my favourite movies due to it's attention to detail and the way they encapture the audience into the movie. The only criticism i have for the movie is that there are gaps between each chapter, the time jumps distance us away from the character only to draw us back in and leaving us again. It's almost as if the main character was a different person at different stages of his life which was the director's intention i suppose.

I really want to hear your thoughts on the movie too. I feel like Love Simon is a feel-good movie and Moonlight is more melancholic; both good in their own way.

@sweet_baking

I personally found Moonlight more relatable as it touches on darker themes
such as substance abuse, bullying, struggle with identity and the vulnerability
of love. It accurately depicts how hard it is to grow up especially while
struggling with your sexuality and it has a more serious tone compared to Love
Simon. The characters in Moonlight are very three dimensional and they feel
like real people, there isn't a one-sided villain and you can clearly see how
each individual character effect and help shape the main character into who he
is at the end of the movie. The movie follows the main character's journey from
a young child to a teenager and then into adulthood.

The way they filmed the movie is one of the best things about it, some scenes are filmed in first person perspective and allow you to really put yourself in his shoes. There are also scenes where the audio and visuals are misaligned which represent how the character feels at that exact moment. Overall, it's one of my favourite movies due to its attention to detail and the way they capture the audience into the movie. The only criticism I have for the movie is that there are gaps between each chapter, the time jumps distance us away from the character only to draw us back in and leaving us again. It's almost as if the main character was a different person at different stages of his life which was the director's intention I suppose.

I really want to hear your thoughts on the movie too. I feel like Love Simon is a feel-good movie and Moonlight is more melancholic; both good in their own way.

Full disclosure I am a Christian and have been brought up in quite a conservative home and it's only really now that I am now educating myself on the lgbtq issues as I am studying to work in the Community Services sector.

I went into it with an open mind and found it a good representation of what it's like being a teen finding themselves and their sexuality. But saying that I do know that not all lgbtq teens have supportive families and I have heard stories from all sides. 

I am a huge watcher of Degrassi Next Gen and New Class and have found that that show is always good at showing multiple views on issues with different characters including lgbtq. It's well worth checking out if you haven't seen any episodes. 

Love, Simon is a huge step for the movie industry and it is proof that lgbtq love stories do have a place in the industry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!