cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving to Adelaide... from America

Hi everybody! Basically i'm just looking for some general advice, tips, or encouragement when it comes time to arrive. I'm currently saving money and working on acquiring a passport and visa but i'm running into some obstacles such as, it being extremely hard to contact some cool local people and employers. Friending everyone on facebook that's from Australia sounds ludicrous and im not seeing a lot of AU specific social networking. Even a pen pal who'd be willing to help me out would be great. Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Moving to Adelaide... from America

Hey @ManofSteele 

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy Sounds like you're making some good plans before you arrive in Australia, good one! Have you found a place to live when you get here? Gumtree is a good place to search for things like housemates, community groups that you can get involved with, etc. There's sometimes jobs on there too. You can also try seek to look for work - there's loads of new jobs posted daily. 

There's probably some Adelaide based facebook groups - if I were you I'd search networks and see if you're able to join an Adelaide based group for something you're interested in (music, exercise, whatever). It might be a good way of getting to know some people before you move over and I'm sure there would be people who would be willing to meet up and show you around when you arrive!

Just letting you know that the ReachOut forums are anonymous, so be careful not to give out any personal info here, and you won't be able to find a penpal through this site - but there's loads of places on the internet where you can do that.

Good luck! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hey @ManofSteele  

It must be awesome and scary at the same time moving to a new place. It sounds like you are doing a great deal to get yourself situated and making new friends is an awesome idea. I agree with gail, she has given you some great tips and there are also many volunteering opportunities too which is great for meeting people in the community. 

We are here to support you and we have some great activities here so hope to see you around the forums Smiley Happy 

Take care of yourself and Goodluck with the move. 

Are you coming here to study? To work? Both of those things will find you neck deep in a social circle.

Otherwise yeah, Gumtree is good, I found a singer for my band through the site, and we have become great friends. Also meetup.com, which is also good, and you could meet other people in Adelaide through that site, which is essentially what the site is used for.

Otherwise, find out where the cheapest drink specials are on in town, and you will run into all the cool kids. Especially the uni kids with no money! Or back-packers looking for a good time!

Some of the open mic nights are great places to visit in adelaide, mondays at the Grace Emily go off. And to a lesser extent, wednesdays at the Colonel Light, and Thursdays at the Astor. But you will have to be bold to approach people there, except the artists, they are always by themselves and looking to meet new people!

Highlighted

Hey @ManofSteele!

I travel a lot so I can relate to this issue.

Once you're on the ground, you'd be surprised at the ways you can meet new people. Work is a great starting point for making new friends. Also, try to get involved in any local groups for hobbies you might have.

If you're staying at a hostel or something like that when you first arrive, you can often make new friends there.

As strange as it sounds, I've met a lot of people through Twitter. I've been an active Twitter user since it started so I usually know someone on there who can introduce me to someone else where I'm headed. Aside from that, there's usually some sort of twitter meet up — a tweetup! — once a month that's worth attending. I've also made friends through meetup.com, some Facebook groups related to my work industry, and sites like gumtree. Local reddit groups often have get-togethers too.

Hope that works out as a good start. Good luck!

Highlighted

You guys have given me the perspective i was looking for so Thank you so very much for that! I just hate having wasted time trudging through random social network sites that wouldn't have helped so know the few that most likely will work helps me be more prepared so thanks again and hopefully I'll some day buy one of you a drink without you even knowing that you had helpede me get there. Small world and all that. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey ManofSteele,

Just wanted to reitterate what others have said about finding activities and stuff you're interested in, and you'll surely meet people and make friends in no time!

I'm from Adelaide, and there's a kind of joke about how there's 6 degrees of separation everywhere else in the world, except Adelaide, where it's about 1 degree! Everyone seems to know everyone else somehow, so making new friends happens all the time. And Adelaideans are a friendly bunch Smiley Happy

Best of luck, and safe travels!
Highlighted

OMG A AMERICAN BUDDY! Smiley Very Happy YAY! welcome to Adelaide! <3 <3 <3
Highlighted

All you got to know about adelaide is that the sun landed there at some point, it is hot. bring shorts, also something that may save confusion is that here thongs mean flip flops not g strings xD
Highlighted

I've never moved country but I have moved state, so maybe I can give you a little bit of advice that helped me.

I found it really scary at first, but I just had to get out there. I went out to lots of social events, bar crawls, meet and greets, and basically if anyone asked me to go to something, even if I didn't want to, I went. Through meeting people I met people. It was a little slow at the beginning, but I think you have to try hard to make friends when you move away and know no one. 

It's defintely do able!

Good luck to you!!