cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Linings Playbook and Jennifer Lawrence

Ok so whose seen Silver Linings Playbook? What did you think? How well/not did it portray mental illness do you think?

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been meaning too because I am a massive Hunger Games fan... But what I did see was her AMAZING night at the Oscars! Not only did she recover from stacking it up the stairs on her way to collect the Oscar, but she spoke to the press afterwards in a brilliantly candid way. One thing she said was...

Did you see it??? What do you think of old J-Law? At just 22 years old - I reckon she's pretty great...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Silver Linings Playbook and Jennifer Lawrence

I love her and I love this movie. From what I understand, it's based on the director's real life experience with his son's mental illness. It's just really refreshing to see mental illness protrayed in Hollywood this way. That you are not magically cured after spending time in a facility, that your parents own issues are contributing factors and that battle over whether or not you want to take medication. Ultimately, it's a love story but in a way it's a love story about mental illness too.

I watched it last night.

ONE: Because it's Jennifer Lawrence, she's hot, I loved the Hunger Games, she got an Oscar for it and she stacked it up the stairs with grace. Smiley Tongue

TWO: It's about mental illness.

THREE: Bradley Cooper is also hot.

I really did enjoy the film. I think maybe it allowed people to realise that mental illness can come in lots of different shapes and forms and that those suffering can well and truly go about their everyday lives.

The film really focused on acceptance within the characters family and small circle of people they know. I think it was refreshing.

I DID JUST WATCH, 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. This film is AWESOME!! And it really focuses on similar issues. Personally I resonated with this one a little more. Probably because it's set in a high school and more about acceptance within younger people. I highly recommend it! GO watch and tell me what you think.

Jennifer Lawrence aka new girl on the hollywood block.
I need to watch this movie again.

The movie for me depicts mental illness very differently from other films. One of the messages I took away from it was that although sometimes things can feel hopeless, you're definitely not helpless. I thought J-Law's character was emotionally stronger/stable/intense??? compared to Cooper's - that was kinda strange in itself. I was kinda expecting the guy's character to be like the rock and J-Law to be dependent on that but this movie kinda flips that idea.

If you watch is as a love story than mental illness is just another thing love conquers.

If you're watching it from a metal illness POV then it's like you can live a happy life with a mental illness. And in this movie they were happy bc they were in love.

EXCELSIOR

@sagira: OMG, perks of being a wallflower is a beautiful film. That one really got me in the heart chakra... I had a big old cry in that movie. It's very well done.... I really felt for that kid.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Perks of being a Wallflower and Silver Linings Playbook are the two movies I desperately want to see at the moment, but can't find anyone to go with... I have a free movie ticket voucher so I can bribe someone. Smiley Wink

Funnily enough, when I was procrastinating yesterday, I went on youtube and typed in Oscar 2013. Most results were of J-Law and Anne Hathaway (both amazing ladies!). I did watch the clip where J-Law was interviewed after her Oscar and gosh, those interviewers (press people?) were so nasty (questions about her stacking, just give her a break!). I love how J-Law managed to skim through the questions with humour and grace. 

I saw the Perks of being a wallflower and it was different to how I expected it to be. In the end, I surprised myself by saying 'Wow, that movie was decent and worth watching. No regrets there'. 

I yet to see Silver Lining. When my biology class went up to Darwin (small town) in Feb, a group of girls went to see this film just hours before we were booked to fly back home. I guess it was worth missing the flight if it won the Oscars? 

I actually kept forgetting her name in the movie because I'd seen the Hunger Games. I still don't remember. She will forever be Katniss Everdeen.

I've only recently finally watched Silver Linings Playbook.
Romances aren't really my thing, aside from that aspect I liked it. I liked the way mental illness was portrayed, and that it was very much from the perspective of the person with problems.
I especially loved the talk about thinking one is more insane than the other.
It sort of fits with the asthma analogy, you don't try to rank asthmatic people by who has the best to worst asthma.
Yet once mental illness is on the table, everyone's trying to figure out how crazy the person is and compares them to the other people they meet with mental illnesses, no matter how different they are.

And I second what's been said about the perks of being a wallflower. I loved the ending, and I loved that it wasn't at all what I was expecting when I went to see it. I wasn't actually looking forward to seeing it as I expected it to be some hipster teen rom-com or drama.
By the end I was very happy I had seen it.

I have seen both these movies we are all talking about here.

Pretty much everyone I have ever spoken to about the silver linings playbook absolutely loves it. I thought it was a great movie too, however I think the perception and portrayal was alittle misleading at times. However you will find this with numerous movies that portray mental illness. On a positive I think the fact it was shown in a humerous way at times is a real eye opener to a once shunned topic throughout society.

All in all see this movie!! (if you haven't - and if you have im sure you will agree you will watch it again)

Watching the perks of a wallflower has made me want to read the book... it is very inspiring. "We accept the love we think we deserve" - a small line from the movie... has gone viral!