cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

πŸ³β€πŸŒˆ Trans community

Hello!

For the first time, I've befriended another trans person in real life. 

And it's made me realize how valuable it can be to just talk to someone who understands, and to share those experiences.

Unfortunately, social media and the wider internet often isn't the safest place to do this, and my anxiety (and location) can make finding other trans people difficult.

So I thought it might be cool to have a thread specifically for assorted trans* stuff here.

Re: πŸ³β€πŸŒˆ Trans community

This sounds like an awesome idea, hope to see some good posts here Smiley Very Happy  Heart

@Tiny_leaf
That’s awesome you’ve made friends with another trans person, I’m super happy for you! πŸ˜„
You’re about it being hard to find other trans people especially in real life and it sucks when there aren’t even that many trans people to begin with, so finding them can be quite difficult. In saying that though, it can be really helpful to have a strong support network of other lgbt+ people who understand what you’re going through and help you become a better person πŸ˜„

Yay! So happy you've befriended a trans person. Also, thank you for creating this as a space for trans people Heart 

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

Oh! Also I was recently able to get my hands on a pronoun badge which I am incredibly pleased with.

It's coming to my next NDIS meeting with me.

Highlighted

Hi everybody!

@Tiny_leaf @Bre-RO @TOM-RO 

I have a few questions about coming out when you’re young and trans. I don’t know if this would apply to many other people, but what happens if you get kicked out of home for being trans after coming out? Where do you go? How do you manage being transgender as well as homelessness? I would expect that trans youth are at a higher risk of abuse, violence or even death when they are homeless, so are there places to go or things that can help homeless lgbt+ youth?

Hi @not-an-otter!

Yup that is a really big issue. Plus being homeless would be stressful enough without the added dysphoria....

Honestly I'm pretty sure that trans youth are at a higher risk of that even without being homeless.

And trans people are a lot more likely to be kicked out of home or need to run away from it.

The whole thing's a bit of a mess honestly..

I think in the US they have a few trans/ queer only shelters, but idk about Australia..

Though I live in WA which is a bit behind on this stuff. Smiley Frustrated

Is this a general question btw, or is this a thing that's happening to you now/ might happen to you in the future?

Asking because then I can help you find some more specific websites and stuff to check out, either on the issue in general or specific help for it. 

@Tiny_leaf
It’s not something that has happened to me, but it’s a possibility in the future which sucks but that’s the reality for so many lgbt+ youth but I’m also just curious in general- I don’t know of any places in Victoria (where I am) that help homeless lgbt+ people and it would be good to get some resources for some other states.
I do know that twenty10 can help with housing if you are in NSW
https://www.twenty10.org.au/get-support/housing/
There’s also Youth Futures in WA which isn’t lgbt+ specific, but as far as I can tell, they are trans-friendly
https://youthfutureswa.com.au/about

@not-an-otter hmm... Victoria (at least around the cities...) seems fairly lgbt+ friendly as a whole, which at least means that support housing in general would probably be safer.

Aha!! This site is specially for lgbti homelessness, and has a good list of Victorian organizations.

http://www.lgbtihomeless.org.au/resources/for-lgbti-people/

There are lots there, so hopefully that'll help get you started. 

Yay thank you for this thread @Tiny_leaf!

You and @not-an-otter have shared some great resources there Smiley Happy

I wanted to throw some positivity into the mix, in that it's great that you've created a space here for trans things! One awesome thing about this amazing community that I don't think is talked about nearly enough is gender-euphoria! Sometimes transitioning, using different pronouns, changing your name can make you feel amazing! Like you've found something you never knew was missing and it is such a wonderful feeling!

Nothing can change that little smile I get when someone calls me by the name I've chosen. I recently went to this big outing with my chosen name, and hearing so many people I didn't actually know just call me by that name was so neat, I loved it. Even though if I heard my family call me by my chosen name would just feel so weird and wrong (because it'd be too big a change), I love hearing it from others and that's neat.
Plus, that feeling when I'm wearing my favourite sports bra and just chilling in my new favourite shorts is the best. I love being me and nothing will be able to take that away. (not even my own negative feelings Smiley Tongue)