cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegan or vegetarian?

Is anyone on here vegan or vegetarian? I'm starting a 30 day vegan thing tomorrow and was looking for tips!

lanejane

Re: Vegan or vegetarian?

I have been vegetarian for 15 years, which makes me feel reeeeally old Smiley Happy I know @redhead is one too.

What sort of tips are you looking for - like recipes or how to cope with limited options?

Hey @lanejane I'm neither, but i wish you all the best on your next 30 days!

1.Soy and almond milk are heaps tasty with coffee! 2.When eating out, Asian cuisine would be a great choice, they always seem to have an extensive list of vegetarian/vegan options Smiley Happy

Again, good luck!

My tip is make sure you still get enough protein.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I'm vegetarian, so I'm not sure how much insight I can provide about veganism specifically, but it would help to get your iron levels checked at some point. I know my iron levels aren't as high as they should be with just food, so I usually take iron supplements as well. Also remember to eat foods with vitamins that help absorb iron and calcium alongside iron- and calcium-rich vegetables and legumes.

Also legumes and pulses will probably become your best friends during this time

I'm neither, but I'd totally love to hear how you go! 

I'm neither now - but I was vegan for 2 years and vegetarian for many more...

It's pretty easy to eat vegan and it probably makes you more creative with cooking and I found I went to more effort make meals MORE delicious & nutritious when I was vegan.... Supplements for b12 and other protein can help but so can a properly planned eating plan!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi @lanejane  How is your thirty day vegan/veg thingie going? I like my meat, sorry, so i can't give much advice Cat Embarassed

I always eat my vegies and couldn't live without, but some friends of mine are vegetarian, and when i visit them they always have something yummy cooking!

Highlighted

Hey  @lanejane 

I describe myself as  'pragmatic vegan' which sounds really wanky, but I basically don't eat or add to the consumption of animal products, without being too hardcore about it. I eat eggs layed by our own chickens, and sometimes honey from our friend's hives, but for all purposes am 'vegan' if I eat out somewhere.

My biggest piece of advice would be to not just cut meat/dairy out, but try and replace it with something equally as nutritious - eg tofu, nuts, seeds, legumes etc.

Also keep an eye on calcium - a lot of non-dairy milks are fortified with calcium, but it's just worth checking the label. 

There are so many awesome vegetarian recipes that can be adapted to be vegan - if you get a chance, try and get your hands on a copy of "Plenty" or "Plenty More" by Yotam Ottolenghi. Serious delicious eats.

Have fun Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your amazing suggestions.

I will admit the challenge is going pretty terribly. My heart was in it for the first week but then food got very boring. It sounds lame, but, I am way to broke and busy to put time into cooking good vegan meals. I know there are millions of amazing receipes out there but i'm a simple girl when it comes to cooking at home.

I did it for a week (and ate something at least one a day with dairy in it because I would just forget - like i made sure i didn't get cheese in my sandwich but then i got mayo???), but don't think I will stick to the rest of the 30 days.

It has 100% changed the way I think and feel though, and I am definitley going to be a lot more concious of what animal products I'm eating. Like, I saw that pesto sauce in my cupboard had animal rennet in it - gross. Never again.

I'm still going to eat soy milk, and aim to cut out all eggs, and not use butter and lots of stuff. But as a vegetarian products like Quorn, which is a protein source with a little bit of dairy in it I really can't see myself going without.

lanejane