cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Volunteering

Scrolling through EthicalJobs and GoVolunteer thinking "someone's strategically compiled a list of things I'd be terrible at" haha Smiley Tongue
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

@Bay52VU I saw one for children reading to dogs and my heart just lit up! So adorable! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Love this post @j95! Smiley Happy

That mentoring position sounds awesome. I really want to get into more volunteering work but I have found it quite difficult to find anything

I volunteer quite a bit being unemployed and all.

I am a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut which I love and has helped me push myself in ways that I didn't think were possible! I gave up my laptop for a whole month to raise funds for them as part of Up Your Game For The Month of May which while challenging was rewarding long term. I have also run a few stalls at schools and expos, walked 5km twice and just helped promote ReachOut in general (my car even has a ReachOut sticker on it!). Having anxiety means I can share my own experiences with mental illness while also promoting the awesome work ReachOut does.

Every second Thursday I help out at the local youth centre as a mentor, which is fun and just means I get to do activities while chatting to at risk kids.

Then I am involved in my church, so I do the projector every few weeks, help out at holiday programs we run (which always results in sickness by the end of it!) and do whatever else I get volunteered for (my Dad likes to put my name forward for things) which is mainly baking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

@ErinsAntics I totally get you re: volunteering heaps while unemployed. Before I had my current job, volunteering was basically the only thing I had on my resumé.

Being a Youth Ambassador for RO sounds really fun! I hope to try it sometime!

Is there any place you'd ideally love to volunteer/work at?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@letitgo I am not just saying this but I LHeartVE being a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut! I just love how supportive the crew is and enjoy knowing I am being a part of something bigger. What's also good is that I can be super flexible with what I do and get given chances to try new things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Love this thread and so great to see what other people are doing in their volunteer roles.

I have volunteered for a few different organisations. When I was 18 I volunteered for my local Lifeline branch working in the sorting centre for the op shop and then doing public relations, media and promotions. I helped to orchestrate some of the positive mental health campaigns we had in the local area such as flashmobs during our Country Music Festival. Was a hell of alot of fun.

I currently volunteer for the Salvation Army, working as a No Interest Loans Officer which I have found is truly rewarding. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Social Work and this role has given me such great opportunities to grow my case working skills. I also help out in my local corps office doing sign ups for various events such as our christmas hampers for those experiencing finacial hardship.

I love volunteering, not only has it given me valuable experience in the sector I want to be employed in someday but the networking you can achieve is so crucial. If your having trouble finding volunteer work I suggest looking at your local services directory for community services and give a few places a call and ask if they need volunteers.

@

@j95 I'm pretty sure I know which restaurant you're referring to but won't say the name Smiley Tongue I've been a few times and the volunteers are always lovely... and the food too!

I volunteer for a large first aid organisation (which again I won't name, but you can probably figure it out really easily). I've managed to have some really awesome experiences through them - everything from AFL matches to music concerts (I even got to see The Wiggles perform last year hahaha). As a nursing student it's helped me gain confidence in my clinical skills and also to network with other healthcare professionals/students. Never know when those connections may come in handy Smiley Tongue

Wow @ErinsAntics! Glad to see another fellow RO YA here Smiley Happy

Yes @lokifish, I totally agree! All the experiences and connections gained through volunteering are very valuable and the feeling is worth every second

Wow @SmileMonkey I think I'd quite like volunteering for Lifeline. I've often considered joining for their helpline service but the fee is too steep for my meagre wages, haha

// Spiral outward, keep going. //